OpenGL & Direct3d gone

Alright. intel, p4, 2.2gHz, 1g ram, GeForce4 ti 4200 128m vid-card, WinXP
Everything’s been fine for almost a year now. Load-up 3d studio max the other day. Shortly there-after, computer crashes. HARD. Automatically resets the entire machine kinda hard…
I changed nothing. It was literally like 1 day it worked, the next, it didn’t.
I have tried absolutely everything I can possibly think of, including, but not limited to, the following:

• scanned the entire computer for viruses using an up-to-date Norton
  • tried installing each of the following nVidia GeForce drivers:
    44.03 - the latest
    40.72 - the latest WHQL-certified
    28.84 - the latest driver certified by discreet for use with 3d studio max without the 5.1 up-grade & DirectX9
  • opened-up the computer, cleaned it out, took out the video-card, & plugged it back in, ensuring it’s in place
  • updated DirectX drivers to DirectX9
  • updated WinXP
  • tried installing both the most recent, & the most recent WHQL-certified drivers for my monitor
  • lowered the graphics acceleration (even though this was never a problem for me before…) step-by-step until it disables Direct3d completely

I can run the machine with the graphics acceleration turned-down to the point of disabling Direct3d entirely, but, obviously, I’m losing-out on a lot of performance. Especially where the likes of 3d studio max is concerned, where I can no longer use OpenGL either, & I’m forced to use the software driver.

Every time I run the Direct3d test, the box with the MicroSoft logo shows up, but it either doesn’t spin at all, or it spins a couple times, then stops completely. The test always fails, no matter what I have the graphic acceleration set to, & sometimes it ends with the hard, `reset-crash’.

Like I mentioned, I’ve tried everything I could think of. Any help would certainly be appreciated. Thanx.

Hey,
I have teh same problem…xp, geforce2 gts, everything works fine except direct 3d. dxdiag reports no errors, but during direct3d test in dxdiag get hard crash.
Is there a way to update direct3d only?
pls email at abenner5@yahoo.com if any ideas…thanks!

Say Vektor, have you considered a hardware failure?

I was having all kinds of problems with my computer… replaced the motherboard and VIOLA! all the problems stopped.

I just hope for you that it is your motherboard and not the video card. MOBOs are so freakin’ cheap now but video cards are outrageously expensive.

I’m having the same problem with my GeForce FX 5200, but I can’t run the demos on the driver/util disk either. I get a visual C++ “abnormal program termination” error.

I’m running a Biostar M7VIT Pro motherboard which I suspect might be the problem cause I couldn’t even POST with an ATI All-in-Wonder 8500DV. What motherboards are you guys running?

Thanks

Hmmmm , i am having same problem with G4 4200 Ti … installed DX9 and direct draw test of DxDiag works fine but the Direct 3D test returns a HRESULT error … 0x80004005 … to be exact …

of course long searching of microsofts knowledge base gives no clues as to what this nmight be …

I have a problem with my DxDiag…i got a intel 2.4, 512 ram, geforce 4 mx 420 64 meg card…and well, has anyone encountered black and white not working with XP…well ive done all this stuff to get it to work an it said go into Start > Run > DxDiag > Display then disable Direct3D…well i did that, but now my problem is i cant turn it back on so any other games that require Direct3d wont work anymore, ive installed all the new drivers DirectX 9.0a and nvida drivers 44.03…i dunno what to do really, and i need it fixed!

cody

Hello all,

I started to have same error after installing Directx 9 and new drivers for Gforce 2 Mx 440, I dont know what is happening to have the same error you all are having with Direct3d, but doesnt seem a hardware failure. I formatted my machine, reinstalled all, then got the newest nvidia drivers and directx 7, result: failed, directx 8.1: failed, directx 9: failed.

This just start to happen when I updated my nvidia drivers I will get the original driver from CD-ROM today and roll back to test it, and if it works I will post here again. But I want you all to roll back your VGA drivers…

If you want to contact me plz: yerrath@terra.com.br

does anyone see a trend here, is it just me or are all these problems experienced on NVIDIA cards?

Hello all again, I ust got home, formatted my machine again, and used old nvidia files, Detonator 28.32 and directx 8.1 and also upgraded for 9.0, and 9.0a, and all off them worked fine with old nvidia drivers, then… I installed 44.03 and all messed up again…

Can anyone else try to roll back card drivers and test it to confirm?
If any of you need the oldest drivers I can host in a webserver, so email me: yerrath@terra.com.br.

PS: sorry bout my english, cause english is not my native language.

Glad to see I’m not alone Having the same problem here guys with a G4 Ti4400 on Win 98. Direct 3D does NOT work with the newest drivers. I fixed this by simply reinstalling the last driver pack (43.45), and works just fine with Direct X 9.0a. It’s something in the newest driver pack causing the problems. I may attempt to upgrade to Win XP soon and will post back here if it fixes the problem.

I was having this same problem…then I got riva tuner and UNDERclocked my video card (geforce4 Ti4200)…solved my dxdiag and freezes…of course I spent all that money on a video card and have to udnerclock it to make it work right

After 2 days hard work… i resolved this problem. Reinstall WinXp with 40.72_winxp_whql and all is OK.

Supermicro X5DAE
2x Xeon 2.8
WinXp SP1
DirectX 9.0a
Nvidia Quadro4 980 XGL

WOW! I cant believe so many people have the same problem!
Im on a nVidia Geforce 2 gts here. It worked perfectly fine with win98. But after using XP and Dx 9.0a, this error occurred. When I do dxdiag d3d tests, its like it goes smooth then jerks. The 3d tests dont even run properly. Sound, music tests work fine.

Oh and also, I have a Radeon 9700 Pro on my other machine. I still haven’t installed XP because I fear I may run into this problem again . Can anyone clarify that for me?

Also, im currently downloading the 43.45 drivers. So im hoping this will do the trick.

Originally posted by Yerrath:
[b]Hello all again, I ust got home, formatted my machine again, and used old nvidia files, Detonator 28.32 and directx 8.1 and also upgraded for 9.0, and 9.0a, and all off them worked fine with old nvidia drivers, then… I installed 44.03 and all messed up again…

Can anyone else try to roll back card drivers and test it to confirm?
If any of you need the oldest drivers I can host in a webserver, so email me: yerrath@terra.com.br.

PS: sorry bout my english, cause english is not my native language.[/b]

My english is Not good.
Hello all. You are in right. My Os is Win2000
with service pack 4.My vga is a Geforce2 Mx and drivers Nv 29.42 whql.Directx 8.1.Processor AMD XP 1600+ with 640MB sdram.

Need for speed High stakes does NOT load with
detonator 40.72 whql and with the above yes.
¡Vaya tela!

Newest drivers still not working WTF!

Anyone got any success on this theme?

I heard that you need to install DX9 1st then newest driver… I will tyr this weekend.

Problem solved :
install the 43.45 driver .
this is the only driver which fixes the problem.

I’m on a Geforce 2 MX/MX 400, and all downloadable drivers will make my dxdiag test on Direct3D freeze. I use the default WINXP drivers, and it passes the test. Problem is, I’m trying to play a game that uses DirectX9, and it freezes, and reboots my computer. Tried another game, same thing.

I am unable to find a fix. Anyone with a card like mine play any Direct3D-DirectX9 games on WINXP? It’s really frustrating… I need help. Can’t afford another card right now.

mine is having the same problem! Every time I run somethig that uses 3d, a weird error message that says my direct3d isnt working properly. I also ran dxdiag, but I failed all direct3d tests. Anyone got any ideas?
My email is pinky2k@bellsouth.net.
Thanks!

specs: GeForce 4 mx 440, win 98se, Amd Athlon processor, 512 RAM

Gefroce4 Ti 4200
WXP
Directx 9.0

Same problem as everyone else. One other thing though; did anyone notice that after the new DX9 install, there are garbage pixels around the mouse pointer on the screen?