opengl winxppro and ati 9200 help!!!!

ok whenever i try and apply opengl instead of d3d it automatically changes back to d3d and wont use open gl so as a result on all opengl video games iplay my frame rate is crap what do i do to fix this

I am not sure what you mean so perhaps you can elaborate at bit more please?

Where do you “select” OpenGL? The ATI drivers offers OpenGL and D3D support at the same time and its up to the game to use either of them.

Hi, the original poster’s problem is the exact problem that I have, too. I go to my Display Properties, Settings tab, Advanced button. A new window with the card’s settings. I click on the “3D” tab and it shows Direct3D selected. I click on the OpenGL option and click OK, then OK in the original Display Settings window. When I check again, it reverts back to Direct3D. I did this several times, trying different things, e.g., restarting fiddling with some DirectX options.

I am using a Radeon 9200 card as well. My computer is fairly new and nothing was wrong with this OpenGL option before. The game I want to play is Silent Hill 2, which I just bought. A few weeks ago, I was playing Silent Hill 3 and Half Life games without a problem, using OpenGL.

Can anyone help? Is the original poster around to post a follow-up?

Sounds like something wrong with Silent Hill 2.

Contact the game manufacterer for help.

Originally posted by <Spread>:
[b]Hi, the original poster’s problem is the exact problem that I have, too. I go to my Display Properties, Settings tab, Advanced button. A new window with the card’s settings. I click on the “3D” tab and it shows Direct3D selected. I click on the OpenGL option and click OK, then OK in the original Display Settings window. When I check again, it reverts back to Direct3D. I did this several times, trying different things, e.g., restarting fiddling with some DirectX options.

I am using a Radeon 9200 card as well. My computer is fairly new and nothing was wrong with this OpenGL option before. The game I want to play is Silent Hill 2, which I just bought. A few weeks ago, I was playing Silent Hill 3 and Half Life games without a problem, using OpenGL.

Can anyone help? Is the original poster around to post a follow-up?[/b]
I think you and the OP are misunderstanding what it means to select Direct3D or OpenGL in that section.

It doesn’t mean your game will use Direct3D when you choose Direct3D or …
It just allows you to make changes to how your drivers work, like turn on FSAA, turn on texture anisotropy, v-sync, and whatever.

They are their to force certain things in the drivers. The only thing you can’t force is which 3D interface (GL or D3D) a game will use.

Does this make sense?