What's a good graphics card?

Hi there,
First off, I just wanted to say, I know nothing about graphics cards, but I do know that I need one. I know people here probably have lots of opinions about them, and I’d like to hear them.

The primary reason I want to get a graphics card is to run my OpenGL programs faster. The demos I DL’d from NeHe site were running at about 1.8 Fps. Need I say more? So, I’m looking for a card that works great w/ OpenGL, that’s my primary concern. Also, I’d like to be able to take input from video sources (video camera, VCR) via A/V inputs. Do they make graphics cards with thost built in? This system I’m running now is a PIII 450 w/ 96 MB RAM (I know, I need more… you can never have enough, eh?). The card that’s in there now (factory) is an ATI Rage Pro (I think). I know it’s an ATI something Pro. Nonetheless, it’s slow. Oh, the price range I’m shoot for is about $150-200. Is that a good range for a good card?

Thanks for your input!

–Erol

Originally posted by pukenoodles:
[b]Hi there,
First off, I just wanted to say, I know nothing about graphics cards, but I do know that I need one. I know people here probably have lots of opinions about them, and I’d like to hear them.

The primary reason I want to get a graphics card is to run my OpenGL programs faster. The demos I DL’d from NeHe site were running at about 1.8 Fps. Need I say more? So, I’m looking for a card that works great w/ OpenGL, that’s my primary concern. Also, I’d like to be able to take input from video sources (video camera, VCR) via A/V inputs. Do they make graphics cards with thost built in? This system I’m running now is a PIII 450 w/ 96 MB RAM (I know, I need more… you can never have enough, eh?). The card that’s in there now (factory) is an ATI Rage Pro (I think). I know it’s an ATI something Pro. Nonetheless, it’s slow. Oh, the price range I’m shoot for is about $150-200. Is that a good range for a good card?

Thanks for your input!

–Erol[/b]

If you don’t want the latest in graphics technology, I suggest you go for a card based on the TNT chip. It’s a pretty OK chip, with OK performance. There is a TNT2 chip too, they are better and faster, but costs abit more. There are card based on both chip that have video in and out.

Companies that make cards with TNT and TNT2 chip is Asus, Diamond, Creative and a few more.

You can also have a look at Matrox, they got some nice cards, one is called Millennium G400, dunno about video in and out though.

I have the same problem with my Rage Pro based card and am looking for a similar solution.

If someone could tell me which of the manufacturer’s cards (mentioned above) ‘do the best job’ I’d appreciate it

I would say they are more or less equal in performance. I have a Diamond Viper 550 (TNT card), and i have never ever experienced any problems with it. Well, only a smaller problem, and it was drivers for Windows 2000 when they had just released it, but that problem is no more
You might find some tests at http://www.tomshardware.com , they have independant tests of a whole lot of stuff for PC.

Actually, if you get the newest drivers for the RagePro you will have GL acceleration. If you’re willing to pay close to $200, buy a GeForce… a card that will last you a LONG time (relative to the other cards suggested here)