Having troubles while opening Wolfenstein with the OpenGL subsystem

This is the message I get :

Please help me by replying here, sending me an email or by ICQ !
By the way, I use XP Pro
Really want to try this game !!!

[This message has been edited by FTP Palace (edited 01-13-2002).]

[This message has been edited by FTP Palace (edited 05-03-2002).]

Unless you still have a 3dfx card you should remove the 3dfxopengl.dll(not sure of the correct name) from your system32 or system dir. that should fix it. I believe the Quake2 + 3 based engines try to load the 3dfx drivers first. I think when they did the RTCW code they did not do a validity check to make sure there was not another opengl driver before erroring out.

Dave

do you have the latest drivers for your 3D card since you got XP ??

I figured out the solution for the problem running OPENGL games in XP.

First:
Update to the latest Detonator drivers for your NVidia card for windows XP/2000.
( http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?PAGE=windows2000))
Version 23.11

Second:
After the install of the videodriver search
for these 2 files:
opengl32.dll (670Kb, dated 7 sept 2001) and
opengl32.lib (325Kb, dated 16 july 1996).
The can be found in the windows\system32
directory.

Third:
Copy these 2 files into your game dir
for example: x:\Program Files\EA GAMES\MOHAA
(x is your drive letter where the game is installed!)
overwriting the old files that were there.
(the old opengl32.dll is 717Kb)

Last step:
Remove the ‘3dfxgl.dll’ from your game dir.
that should fix the problem. I believe the
engine tries to load the 3dfx drivers
first. I think when they did the RTCW code
they did not do a validity check to make
sure there was not another opengl driver
before erroring out.

After these steps the game will work on XP too!!

Have fun people!!

Hi,
I’ve the same problem with Wolfenstein. But I use Win2000, not XP. Is it the same way like in WinXP? Please help me!

Yes I guess it is the same
just download the right version of Detonator XP, the one suitable for ur OS.
Be careful to restart though cause I tried to play without restarting and my screen somehow exploded. Fortunately it is assured but anyways be careful, it is never a good thing to see your comp explode in front of your nose …

Will this work for Medal of Honor:Allied Assualt also?

I have a ATI Rage 128 Pro,

where can I get the driver for OpenGL for Windows XP so I can play Medal of Honor:Allied Assualt?

please help me, i am dying to play

Yes you can play everygame using openGL

If you are looking for the OpenGl for MOHAA. Look in Windows/System32. You can copy that to EAGAMES/MOHAA to replace 3dfx. Otherwise go to Microsoft for a copy of OPENGL32.dll

Originally posted by FTP Palace:
[b]This is the message I get :

Please help me by replying here, sending me an email or by ICQ !
By the way, I use XP Pro
Really want to try this game !!!

[This message has been edited by FTP Palace (edited 01-13-2002).][/b]

hey man , Im having the same problem trying to run mohaa , im running win 98 , and was wondering if you ever fixed your problem if so , could you message me the how to, on icq ,my # is 76186522, removing the 3defxgl.dll replacing with opengl32.dll did nt help

hi frankiep,
firstly tried with updated drivers and secondly replaced opengl32.dll in game directory but still having same problem in wolfenstein console
help me please

Have a voodoo3 card and im running xp. i have the latest drivers i can find(im pretty sure). i have tried getting rid of that 3dfx fiel in systems32 and have put it back. But i still keep getting that DAMN error: "Could not load OpenGL subsystem "!!!
please help

Thanks guys, the thread about the opengl32.dll file worked
I have tribes 2 and when i used open GL mode with my gf3 500 in fullscreen i got about 1 second freeze up, window based was fine. I have copied the opengl32.dll into tribes folder and all works now…

Down with Bill Gates.

G.

awwwwwwww nuts its the same again. Lag on full screen… helpppppppppppppppp

Your config really should work
Ive done a list with all openGL related problem I know. Some of it can be related to you. Read it carefully and see If can be to help.

It seems that win2k have a lot of problems with open gl.
Win2k is reckon as NT and NT have often got problem with games
especially open gl.
(sorry to say I’m not really sure about XP yet).
The following points causes a lot of problem with Open GL

*The dva line in win ini. (solution in bottom. Check this first its a really common problem)

*To many graphiccard drivers you really have to delete in registry and the inf-files to get a clean install of new
drivers.

*Win2k the programmers seems dont bother doing drivers that will work.

*The via chipset. You often have to update your agp-drivers to get Open gl to work on a via mobo.(the aperature size is important to.) when you install the new AGP-drivers never choose the turbo version.

AGP-problem:

Try switching to AGP1X using your BIOS setup This may help, but will reduce performance slightly.
Check your AGP aperture size in your BIOS Setup. Start at half of what your total system memory is and save it.

*If you have managed to download the OPENGL-setup(80mb) remember to force the drivers over the existing drivers if you been prompted(the gl-setup contains the latest drivers for the most common cards if you already have the latest from your card manufactors just skip the gl-setup.

• Half-life and other openGL games have opengl.dll files in the games root. If you have friends with working openGL copy and change your game-root .dll files

*The biggest problem is card manufactors telling us they got cards and drivers that work with open GL but they just dont.

Here is a formula if you want to do a clean uninstall of Creative display drivers It should work with other manufactors to if you know the ending:

• Run any uninstall from Add/Remove Programs for the drivers. These frequently are
    not totally thorough but should be done anyway.
    After you reboot, delete these files
    In C:\Windows\System: nv*., bc., bls., 3dbg.*
    (the latter 3 only apply to Creative drivers)
    In C:\Wwindows\Inf: drvdata.bin, drvidx.bin, 3dbg*.inf, nv*.inf
    In C:\Inf\Other: 3dbg*.inf, nv*.inf
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Creative Tech\Blaster Control 3.0
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Controls
    Folder\Device\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers\Blaster Control 3.0
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Controls
    Folder\Device\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers\NVTweak
    (look under Controls Folder\Display as well as Device keys here for
    Blaster Control or NVTweak keys)
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
  • look for bcdetect or NVInitialize entries on the right side and
    delete them but not the whole Run key. Also, check the RunOnce
    key for the same entries.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\OpenGLdrivers
  • delete the RIVATNT entry on the right side

After you have done this do a reinstall of windows(not format).
Then install the original drivers to your garaphiccard(not detonators)
Don’t install any open GL drivers separately.

The DVA problem:

Click Start / Run.
Type “win.ini” (without quotes) and press OK.
Search for a line that says “DVA=0” (without quotes).
Add a semicolon ( before the DVA (The line should now look like this: “;DVA=0” (without quotes))
Save and close the file
If you find this causes more problems, just take out the semicolon.
Note that not everyone has this line, and if there is none you’ll have to try another solution.

Thoose are the most common probs. Hope you will be helped.

Ummm…what do I do if my vid card doesn’t support OpenGL? Must I get a new card to play RTCW? I don’t want to considering its my blasted laptop…

Thanx

UPDATE!!!

Well, i was just away for a sec and i come back to see my computers screen saver. The saver just happend to be the 3d Maze. Also, it was just passing the floating OpenGL thing that is in the middle of the maze. I check out this a bit, and discover all the other 3d screen savers use OpenGL. Well, according to my video card maker, it says OpenGL doesnt work with my computer. Now I am really confused. A have a Trident Cyberblade Ai1 (i believe) and Win2k. PLZ!!! I am realy confused. I need some help with this.

Oh, and i only have the Single Player RTCW demo right now. If this makes any difference.

Thanx

Originally posted by WhoMan:
[b]UPDATE!!!

Well, i was just away for a sec and i come back to see my computers screen saver. The saver just happend to be the 3d Maze. Also, it was just passing the floating OpenGL thing that is in the middle of the maze. I check out this a bit, and discover all the other 3d screen savers use OpenGL. Well, according to my video card maker, it says OpenGL doesnt work with my computer. Now I am really confused. A have a Trident Cyberblade Ai1 (i believe) and Win2k. PLZ!!! I am realy confused. I need some help with this.

Oh, and i only have the Single Player RTCW demo right now. If this makes any difference.

Thanx[/b]

Your card probably doesn’t have hardware opengl support. The screensaver was running in Software opengl mode. I’d recommend upgrading to a RadeonLE or Geforce2MX card, they can be found for about $50 at most online retailers.

Good luck.