sharing OpenGL applications

As far as I know, Microsoft Netmeeting 3.01 doesn’t enable user to share any application which uses OpenGL. Is there any other software that I could use instead of Netmeeting to share such applications over Internet ? Thanks for help in advance.

First off, I’d have to question your need to share such an application over the internet, even over a broadband connection, the framerate would be horrible.

Are you attempting to collaborate with someone on a 3d modelling program, or something like that? I don’t think you’re going to have much luck with that, unless you find an application designed for OpenGL client/server functionality.

Thanks for reaction. You are right about my intentions. I’d like to collaborate with someone on a 3d modelling program. The frame rate is not the critical issue. It’s high enough to rotate and zoom models. I did it between two Unix machines. Where could I look for software that I need ? You have any suggestions ?
By the way, isn’t Microsoft Netmeeting a client/server type of software (of course not for OpenGL, but generally)?

Hope for your replay.

Originally posted by yakuza:
[b]First off, I’d have to question your need to share such an application over the internet, even over a broadband connection, the framerate would be horrible.

Are you attempting to collaborate with someone on a 3d modelling program, or something like that? I don’t think you’re going to have much luck with that, unless you find an application designed for OpenGL client/server functionality.

[/b]

Yes, Netmeeting is a client/server app, but I don’t think it can handle sharing an OpenGL device context.

You could try using VNC:
http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/

I was able to draw a sphere in 3dStudioMax4 over VNC. Give that a try and see how it works! Keep in mind that due to the latency over the network, it is going to be difficult to do fine-detail modelling. Let us know how it turns out.

Edit: Oh yeah, the best part about VNC is that it’s free.

[This message has been edited by yakuza (edited 04-11-2002).]