OpenGL stops working after some time.

Hi all,
I’ve got a strange problem :stuck_out_tongue:
Whenever I play a 3D game using OpenGL it stops working after I quit playing. So for a example, I play Half-Life (STEAM), then after some tiem I quit playing. Let’s say I want to play Counter-Strike then. But it says video mode not supported and shuts down. (The games were only examples.)

Well. From there on no OpenGL/D3D using application works untill I reboot. (I don’t want to have to reboot whenever I end a game.)

Please help :slight_smile:
Is there any type of OpenGL reinitilization?

This is usually a driver or application related problem. In your case I would blame it on STEAM.

Not likely an application problem, but more likely a driver problem + desktop setup + OS

It can happen that you will get BSOD as soon as you try to run a D3D.

There is a tool called ddhelp that cleans up the video memory, after ddraw fails to clean or or whatever.

Thanks very much! I’ll try that one :slight_smile:

(BTW, Steam sux)

Originally posted by <Svenstaro>:
(BTW, Steam sux)
I know, thats why I said “application related problem”, it doesnt look like that “deguy” ever had a installtion of this STEAMing pile of crap…

Ok guys, the DirectX Diagnostics tool didn’t help me at all. I ‘fixed’ the problem: I only play STEAM games in window mode from now on. Well, not very handy but no other way out :stuck_out_tongue:

Ok, now I’m really freaking out. IT DOESNT WORK! Even not in window mode. Please help me :frowning:

Originally posted by <qwerty77>:
[quote]Originally posted by <Svenstaro>:
(BTW, Steam sux)
I know, thats why I said “application related problem”, it doesnt look like that “deguy” ever had a installtion of this STEAMing pile of crap…
[/QUOTE]Actually I have, but unless there is proof Steam is the problem…

Svenstaro, have you tried running Quake3, quake2, SOF, … other GL games not using Steam.

And what is your OS, video card, and video card drivers. This kind of syntom usually happens on Win9x systems, because of problems with ddraw.

Be ready to blame Microshaft

Arr well yes, forgot to tell you my system config.
First of all: I reinstalled windows today, hopefully fixed the problem. Haven’t tried yet because im still installing drivers and such.

Svenstaro, have you tried running Quake3, quake2, SOF, … other GL games not using Steam.
Yes, before I’ve killed windows I made kinda massive games testing day. The problem seems to have to do with the STEAM crap. All other programs and games work just fine.

My system configuration:
Windows XP Home
Geforce 5950 Ultra with 61.77 drivers. (yes the offical ones.)

Originally posted by <Deguy>:
[b]Actually I have, but unless there is proof Steam is the problem…

And what is your OS, video card, and video card drivers. This kind of syntom usually happens on Win9x systems, because of problems with ddraw.
Be ready to blame Microshaft[/b]
Thats cool, you need proof that a notoriously buggy POS is responsible, but you need no proof thats it is a MS problem…

Logic is a wonderful thing, isnt it?

Originally posted by <qwerty77>:
Thats cool, you need proof that a notoriously buggy POS is responsible, but you need no proof thats it is a MS problem…

Logic is a wonderful thing, isnt it?[/QB]
I don’t see a problem with my approach.
It’s best to do some tests to be sure where the problem lies, even if you think Steam is POS or if I think Windows 9x is POS.

Ok guys, I’ve tested it out.
I’ve got the problem after each OpenGL using game I run. But not every, though. Strange…
Well. Have you guys any idea how I can figure out what to do?

Thats strange can you name some of the games that work fine and some that dont?

Well, it’s hard to determine. I don’t even know 100% if it’s the games. I killed windows again. This time completely. I’ll see if it works now and yell if it doesn’t. :smiley: