Help with game: Alice

I’m getting really funky beginning screens. It’s almost as if the screen image is tiling. I get half on one side and half on the other. One half sort of looks like it’s stretched.

On the startup screen, I noticed it looking for the OpenGL, and as I hadn’t a clue what it was, I d/l’d the drivers for my ATI Rage via www.opengl.org

I installed it and everything seemed okay, until I tried to run my game. This is the message I got:

American McGee’s Alice win-x86 Nov 13 2000
----- FS_Startup -----
Current search path:
C:\ALICE\base\pak4_english.pk3 (44 files)
C:\ALICE\base\pak3.pk3 (10 files)
C:\ALICE\base\pak1_large.pk3 (3369 files)
C:\ALICE\base\pak0.pk3 (5341 files)
C:\ALICE/base

Config: config.cfg
execing default.cfg
couldn’t exec menu.cfg
execing config.cfg
couldn’t exec localized.cfg
couldn’t exec autoexec.cfg
…detecting CPU, found x86 (P5/Pentium2, MMX)

------- Input Initialization -------
Initializing DirectInput…
Couldn’t set DI coop level
Falling back to Win32 mouse support…
Joystick is not active.

----- Client Initialization -----
----- Initializing Renderer ----
----- R_Init -----
Initializing OpenGL subsystem
…initializing QGL
…calling LoadLibrary( ‘C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\opengl32.dll’ ): succeeded
…setting mode 3: 640 480 FS
…using colorsbits of 16
…calling CDS: ok
…registered window class
…created window@0,0 (640x480)
Initializing OpenGL driver
…getting DC: succeeded
…GLW_ChoosePFD( 16, 16, 0 )
…23 PFDs found
…GLW_ChoosePFD failed
…GLW_ChoosePFD( 16, 16, 0 )
…23 PFDs found
…GLW_ChoosePFD failed
…failed to find an appropriate PIXELFORMAT
…restoring display settings
…WARNING: could not set the given mode (3)
…shutting down QGL
…unloading OpenGL DLL
…assuming ‘3dfxvgl’ is a standalone driver
…initializing QGL
…WARNING: missing Glide installation, assuming no 3Dfx available
…shutting down QGL
----- CL_Shutdown -----

GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL subsystem

So…what does this mean? (And be gentle…I’m clueless in this realm.)

Thank you
Lori

You should probably look on this board for a message about Quake3. I think that it discussed a similar problem (sorry that I can’t provide the reference). Also, you didn’t say what chip exactly you have. ATI Rage is a family of chips (there’s the Rage IIC, Rage Pro, Rage XL, Rage 128, Rage 128 Pro … you get the picture).

I’m not even sure which RAGE I have. I just bought this computer (not new). Where on the computer do I find that info? The only reference I have is a CDrom with no manual, so I’m guessing the guy who had this before put it in himself and it didn’t come with the original computer setup.

I’ll look for the Quake reference.

Thanks!

Lori

Right click on your desktop and select properties. Then click settings/advanced, and click on adapter tab. That will tell u which rage chip u have. Apparently rageII chips and earlier don’t support openGL in games.

Okay…it says Mach 64: RagePro, 8mb

Lori

Hmm, a friend of mine had that card, I am guessing it’s an Xpert@play. He did get NFS3 working on it, though I am not sure if it was d3d or openGL.

Since Alice uses Q3 engine, u want to look at different threads involving general problems with that game.

However, do any other games work in openGL? Or is Alice the only one?

Since u weren’t sure about the Rage chipset, u could have downloaded the wrong drivers too…

Also make sure your pc meets the hardware req’s for the game

[This message has been edited by HighCv2 (edited 07-10-2001).]

The game says 16mb video card, and even better 32mb. Mine’s only an 8, so I’m guessing that’s a problem.

Weird, though, since the actual game works just fine. It’s just the SAVE screen and the screen where you can specify settings and stuff that are skewed and pretty much unreadable.

Oh well.

Thank you!

Lori

It simply doesn’t have enough video memory to store textures. I think if u can, run it in software.