rendering artifacts in OpenGL based applications

Whenever I play any OpenGL based games or use any apps that require OpenGL (such as the 3D screensavers supplied with WinXP), strange rendering artifacts appear on the screen, and become more and more numerous the longer I leave the app running. Textures flicker, and are sometimes drawn completely across the screen for a single frame. Some entire 3D models flicker (or maybe it’s just all the textures mapped on the model flickering) and are also sometimes drawn at a completely different position on the screen for a single frame. Also, I’ve noticed that lines are randomly drawn between two points randomly placed on the screen in some OpenGL apps. Here is some info about my system:

Microsoft Window XP Professional
SP1 + all additional Windows updates
Intel Pentium 4 2.80 GHz, 1 GB RAM
Gigabyte K7 Triton Motherboard
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum
ATI Radeon 9800 XT

I have installed the latest drivers for all hardware, have tried many different driver settings configurations, tried different settings in all my games, taken off my machines case and placed a fan directly on it (although I still could not get the temp. of the vid. card below 70* C), and have called many different companies tech support, who have told me that the products work fine on their machines, with the same vid. card as mine. It’s possible that my card has overheated and been fried, or is in the process, but I’m just not yet convinced of that considering that all DirectX games/apps run tremendously. Can someone please help me?!

You may want to try and return it from wherever you got it and get another one.

Failing that, I would look at cooling on that card. It should be at most in the 50s.

Originally posted by bio_anomaly:
Intel Pentium 4 2.80 GHz, 1 GB RAM
Motherboard

That just cant be. The K7 Trition is a Nforce2 based bord that only runs AMD CPU’s but not Intel CPU’s.

My processor is built and distributed by Gigabyte and is “based” on an Intel Pentium 4 chipset, that’s why they’re compatible.