Open GL PLUG!

OK. I’ve read that Windows XP comes with the Open GL graphics card, and I’ve downloaded the latest driver update. My problem is that I have no 15-pin plug receptacle on the back of my tower.
I have the Aerofly Professional Flight Simulator, but can’t plug in the “Game Commander” joystick. I know I’m missing something here. WHAT IS IT??

Originally posted by shillman:
OK. I’ve read that Windows XP comes with the Open GL graphics card, and I’ve downloaded the latest driver update. My problem is that I have no 15-pin plug receptacle on the back of my tower.
I have the Aerofly Professional Flight Simulator, but can’t plug in the “Game Commander” joystick. I know I’m missing something here. WHAT IS IT??

a.) There is no reason to scream, this isnt AOL.
b.) Windows XP is a software, OpenGL is a software neither comes with a 3d card, your computer does.
c.) Modern graphics cards often dont have a 15 pin VGA port anymore but one or two DVI ports, they usually come with a DVI->15pin adapter.
d.) About your “Game Commander” joystick, I guess it has a MIDI type connector but most onboard soundcards dont have this connector anymore so you either need to plug in a real soundcard or you have to replace the stick with a USB one.

None of this has anything to do with OpenGL of course.

The scream was at myself for not knowing some of the most basic 'puter stuff. Olden ain’t always golden! Point taken, though.
So, to get a real sound card, where would you suggest I look? And this “game commander” is the ideal interface with this program, since it is virtually identical to the RC transmitter that I use to fly my remote control airplanes. This is a very accurate training method for improving one’s flying abilities. It’s unfortunate that it has a 15 pin interface, but it does.
Lower case “help!”

No problem, I got up on the wrong side of the bed and was kind of pushy all day…

But I think we need to clarify what we are talking about. In my previous post I was talking about two different 15 pin connectors.

The first was the one that you use to connect your display to the computer (its a small 15 pin connector with 3 rows of pins) also called the VGA connector.

The other was the “game port” its a wide 15 pin connector with two rows of pins.

These two are completly different, from your last post I understand that you solely speak about the later, is that right?

If that is the case and your new computer has no such port there are two solutions.

a.) Buy a PCI soundcard with game port from a local computer store (ask a clerk to help you pick one). Be carefull though, most of the new soundcards dont have a game port.
Do you happen to know a friendly computer guy who could help you with the installation? If yes, you should ask him, because you need to disable the on-board sound (if there is any) prior to the installation of the PCI card. In theory you dont need to do this but in praxis its a completly different story.

b.) Buy a game port -> USB converter. This is a device that has a 15 pin game port connector on one side and an USB outlet on the other side, so you connect your game commander to it and plug it into an USB port.
Since I dont have any experience with these devices I cant recommend them, they may or may not work the way one would expect.

Hope this helps.

Originally posted by <qwerty77>:
Hope this helps.
Yeah, I’m getting ready to buy an undersink filter. Which make and model do you recommend? :smiley:

Originally posted by <Uh>:
Yeah, I’m getting ready to buy an undersink filter. Which make and model do you recommend? :smiley:
www.google.com :wink: