Answer to lifes greatest mystery (winXP)

OK. If you have XP you cant use OpenGL.
You do have 2 alternatives. http://www.scitechsoft.com/products/enterprise/gld_home.html . This is the website for a program that allows Direct3D to run OpenGL programs. I hope that does not count as an advertisement.
You can also try to go through a simple to computer geeks, hard for the average Joe, process of installing a dual-boot operating system. In other words having Windows XP and Windows 98. You need 98 to run OpenGL.
If you have enough Hard drive space and a copy of 98 I recommend this.
If you dont have the cd but have money to spend I reccomend going and buying the ATI Radeon 9700 Pro. It is a great (but expensive) 3d accelerator card. You could also wait to buy the Geforce FX but I am not sure if the developers of OpenGL will be ready to release OpenGL for Windows XP yet.
Ati has already made sure that its 3d accelerator cards are OpenGL compatible. (Do not quote me on this. This is based upon what I have read) Dont worry, until I researched this problem even I, a 15 year old computer geek, did not realize the problem.
In the meantime you might want to spread the word that the Devs of OpenGL are in fact working on the issue. If they don’t find a way to make OpenGL XP compatible soon Direct3d might be the future of gaming again. As for power I would say that the OpenGL is better. But they are also underfunded and understaffed. Good luck to them, and to all of you gamers that took the time to read this.

Thanks,
Brach Janney

(for quotes on upgrading your pc simply email me at Bracholi3@yahoo.com )
this is not an ad.

I’ve run Half-Life in OpenGL on my XP system, runs fine.

shut up u tard of course u can run opengl in XP…

u just need to install the correct drivers for ur card, which ppl should be doing before they post here anyway.

there are a few different problems here, and ppl are getting mixed up between noob problems of just not installing drivers, and the actual issue of opengl failing completely.

Originally posted by Bracholi:
OK. If you have XP you cant use OpenGL.

Huh? OpenGL just works fine on any Windows version since 95.

Its soooooo simple, install XP (from scratch) and then install the latest video driver for your 3d card (with FULL administrator privileges I may add)

You do have 2 alternatives. http://www.scitechsoft.com/products/enterprise/gld_home.html . This is the website for a program that allows Direct3D to run OpenGL programs. I hope that does not count as an advertisement.

coughcrapcough

You can also try to go through a simple to computer geeks, hard for the average Joe, process of installing a dual-boot operating system. In other words having Windows XP and Windows 98. You need 98 to run OpenGL.
If you have enough Hard drive space and a copy of 98 I recommend this.

Dude, you have no idea what you are talking about. Just because YOU cant get OpenGL to work under XP (works fine for me btw) doesnt mean its impossible.

If you dont have the cd but have money to spend I reccomend going and buying the ATI Radeon 9700 Pro. It is a great (but expensive) 3d accelerator card.
You could also wait to buy the Geforce FX but I am not sure if the developers of OpenGL will be ready to release OpenGL for Windows XP yet.

This just shows that you dont know anything about OpenGL.

THERE ARE NO “DEVELOPERS FOR OPENGL”!!!

A 3d card HAS to implement the OpenGL STANDARD (defined AGES ago and updated on a regular base by the ARB) in the display drivers.

Ati has already made sure that its 3d accelerator cards are OpenGL compatible. (Do not quote me on this. This is based upon what I have read)

Yawn…
Get a clue, Nvidia supports OpenGL since the Riva 128. S3 supports OpenGL since the Savage 4, ATI fully supports OpenGL since the Rage128 (and so on…).

Dont worry, until I researched this problem even I, a 15 year old computer geek, did not realize the problem.

Obviously you still have a lot to learn…

In the meantime you might want to spread the word that the Devs of OpenGL are in fact working on the issue. If they don’t find a way to make OpenGL XP compatible soon Direct3d might be the future of gaming again.

Now this is complete bull****.

THERE ARE NO “OPENGL DEVELOPERS”!!!
OpenGL is a STANDARD and the implemention is up to the 3d card manufactures and has NOTHING to do with the operating system…

As for power I would say that the OpenGL is better. But they are also underfunded and understaffed. Good luck to them, and to all of you gamers that took the time to read this.

Dude, OpenGL has to be supported by the drivers of a 3d card. If you would know ANYTHING about OpenGL you would have refrained from posting your bull**** here.

Thanks,
Brach Janney
(for quotes on upgrading your pc simply email me at Bracholi3@yahoo.com )
this is not an ad.

LOL Given the ‘performance’ you showed here…

NO THANKS!

Lol.
Thankyou for keeping me humble.
If there is one thing I know though it is how to do cheap pc upgrades.
You also stated that I had no clue about OpenGL because there are no devs.
I guess you think that OpenGL wrote itself.
And without the devs at Nvidia working to make opengl easily available I hardly believe that my 3d accelerator will ever have it. I do agree that if you in fact have had opengl on the same computer for a while you might have opengl support for XP.
Lately though you cant find it because the devs of OpenGLs website have not (and I think I confused you all with my loose term devs. Developers to me mean Webmasters, Programmers, ect.,) in fact allowed XP users to use GLSetup. Thankyou
Brach Janney
Humbled Computer geek who does not give a ****

“I do agree that if you in fact have had opengl on the same computer for a while you might have opengl support for XP”

I’m not trying to rip on you like the last guy, but you seem to have some concepts twisted. What you have just stated here makes no sense. I’m going to assume first that “for a while” means on a machine before installing XP. This isn’t true. Whether or not it’s a new machine or one upgraded to XP, it would have OpenGL support. As the previous post mentioned, every card I know of does now. For my ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon (original one , I had to install new drivers in order to have OpenGL support, XP did not come with it.

“this is not an ad”

Yes, it was.

Brach Janney STUPID WANABE GEEK!!! OPENGL WORKS FINE ON MY XP! AFTER A LOT OF BATTLES, BUT IT WORKS!!! THE PROBLEM I HAD WAS WITH THE GAME.

well just to let you know I did a little looking at the user-unfriendly Nvidia website and finally figure out my problem.
The latest drivers did not contain the OpenGL drivers. So I went is and finally after 2 hours found this http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=winxp-2k_archive the archive of files long since lost. So I downloaded the oldest 2 and installed the oldest 2 drivers one after the other. I than updated to the latest drivers. I now have full OpenGL support

OMG!!!
You are the wanna-be. There are developers of Windows Xp and it some of the versions don’t have the correct edition of Xp to allow it to run OpenGL, for instance XP work edition. So take your **** some where else.

lol it took u 2 hours just to find a bunch of older detonator drivers? jeez…

Originally posted by DarkChicken:
You are the wanna-be.

LOL! Another case for the “Derek Zoolander Center for kids who cant read good”.

I never said he is a wanna be (that was someone else), I only said his post is complete non-sense.

There are developers of Windows Xp and it some of the versions don’t have the correct edition of Xp to allow it to run OpenGL, for instance XP work edition.

Geeezzzz learn to read. I said: “developers of OpenGL”. OpenGL is a standard defined by SGI ages ago. In order to support OpenGL 3d cards need to implement that standard into the display drivers but thats it. Sure new features are added over time but there is no group of developers you can point your finger at and say “These are the OpenGL devs”. There is the Architecture Review Board where you will find alot of companies reviewing the extensions and “update” the standard.

All versions of XP fully support OpenGL right from the start (Home & Professional) never heard of a “work edition” though

So take your **** some where else.

LOL! Because you say so? Get a clue.

Ok guys keep it cool here. I suck when it comes to midnight work thankyou and I was working extremely late. I am also ADD which does not help a bit. Give me some credit, it took me a while but I did find the solution to my problems. I dont see you guys taking the time to help all these people through their troubles. What I do see is a bunch of “jump on the newbie” type of things though. Try using some of the energy that you exerted while putting me down and put it towards helping the people that need help.

Well I am cool and I do give you credit. You solved your problem on your own and thats fine.

Despite your saying that your initial post isnt an ad it reads like one and frankly that pissed me off times ten.

If you look at Darkchickens post he seems to got lost in the thread and mixed up the facts, so I straigthen him out, thats no “noob bashing” thats “bringing him back into reality”.

As for me helping others.

See by default there is no problem with OpenGL unless people do something (intentionly or not) to break it. Unfortunatly they dont tell you what they did to there system, so you can only play the “best guess” game.

I used to do that in the past and got a lot of flag for it from people who couldnt tell a keyboard from a mice and FUBAR’d there system.

So now I only read the posts and laugh my ass of.

What goes around comes around, I guess.

Mice? isn’t it Mouse when singular cough
=).
sorry but I am in accelerated english and have become the Englich Police

Well you cought me on that. On the other hand I never said I am an native English speaker did I?

I am from Danmark if that matters cough(and I dont recall that I picked on your spelling errors)cough.

Oh well, since you like mud slinging lets have a look at your inital post.

[qoute]Hard drive[/QUOTE]
You mean ‘harddisk’, right?

[qoute]reccomend[/QUOTE]
Hmmmm, one ‘c’ would have done the job…

[qoute]Devs[/QUOTE]
Should not that be either ‘devs’ or developers?

Dude, dont get me started because you are on the receiving end.