Voodoo3 2000 screen problems in HL...

Alright. Bare with me as I try to explain…

Ok, so after I get my computer minorly upgraded(CD Burner and 30 GB’s memory installed), I play CS only to find out my sounds are completely screwed up, and when that happens, shutting down my computer becomes a total hassle because it freezes on the screen that comes before the screen that says it’s safe to turn off the computer.
SO ANYWAYS, I go to 3DFX and download the latest WHQL driver for Voodoo3(thinking the CS problem is coming from my video card for some odd reason). Reading the readme, I read that I have to uninstall my previous 3DFX tools before installing the Voodoo3 driver(released November 30). I searched and searched for an UNINSTALL program or something for 3DfX tools, but I couldn’t find one at all, so i just tried installing the new driver. Interestingly, this driver had a different way of installing than the way I’ve usually installed drivers. It has me unpack the file to windows/temp, then tells me to execute the SETUP.exe from there. I double-click the setup.exe, but all it does is show a progress dialog box, quickly installs some .dll’s, then done. Nothing else. In the readme of the 3DFX Voodoo3 driver, it says that i’m supposed to be prompted with a Welcome screen and afterwards be prompted to reboot my computer. I didn’t see any of these screens when installing the new driver. So that had me bugged. So i just restarted the comp my self. I started experiencing freezes when playing games and playing .mpegs. So, knowing that it had to do with my video card drivers, I popped in my 3DFX Voodoo3 CD that came with the video card when I originally bought it, and reinstalled the drivers off the retail CD. Now everything’s fine…sorta. I use WickedGL to get way better fps in CounterStrike, but now, I get the same FPS, but I’m getting some weird glitches on-screen when I play HL. When I look around, the screen kinda “cracks”, or “splits”, like when an image loads on a camera and loads over a different image, so you can see the new image loading over the old image. I need a solution, because it’s making me dizzy!

Does anyone have a solution??? Do I need to uninstall my old 3DFX tools before installing the new 3DFX drivers? If so, how? Or what else??? Plz help. Thanx a jiff.

Wow that’s a big story I have there. Lemme put it short and simple:

I’m getting some weird glitches on-screen when I play HL. When I look around, the screen kinda “cracks”, or “splits”, like when an image loads on a camera and loads over a different image, so you can see the new image loading over the old image. I need a solution, because it’s making me dizzy!

Computer Stats:

Windows 98
3DFX Voodoo3 2000
Celeron processor
500 MHZ
48 GB’s memory
Using WickedGL

OOPS…
And…

128 RAM

Ok…well, I got the new driver to work. Problem is, it freezes when I scroll in IE or where ever I move a scrollbar. I had this problem before, and fixed it by going back to the CD drivers. But this driver improves my gameplay. Anyone know of a fix on how to NOT make it freeze my computer??

had similar problems recently…

this is what I did to fix:

set adapter back to Standard VGA
remove .INF file from WIN/INF/OTHER
delete 3DFX entries from registry (careful here…)
reboot
install latest drivers (1.07 I think)
reboot
RE-INSTALL DIRECTX! - must be at least ver 7.0a
reboot

things seem to be working smoothly now

good luck

Can you help me on what exactly to delete and remove and what to set??

Right now I’m back on 3dfx Voodoo 3 2000 driver version 1.05(dated July 4, 2000).

Using driver version 1.07, I figured out that having Winamp or Sonique on with any other program(for example- browsing on Internet Explorer 5) with 1.07 installed freezes my computer.

I’m also using the latest version of WickedGL.

The main problem is that I just can’t listen to any mp3s while having the 1.07 driver installed, or else my computer will freeze at some point.

Please help.

it looks like I spoke too soon…

1.07 seemed to fix my OpenGL problems, BUT now I am seeing problems in some of my glide games - especially Diablo2 where the screen seems break up with interference patterns.

I had jumped from 1.05 to 1.07… now I am going to go back and try 1.06 tonight. I will let you know if I have any luck.

I have never used wickedGL…