New PC freezes on games

Heya, I have this setup:

AMD XP 3000+ CPU
GF4 MX440 64mb graphics card
512mb DDR Memory
ASUS A7V8X-X Motherboard
80gig Maxtor Hard Drive

When I run games such as max payne 2 and battlefield 1942 it freezes after about a minute of playing :S I have all the latest drivers and if i underclock the CPU to 2.06Ghz it runs flawlessly without freezing at all. But as soon as it goes up to 2.17Ghz it will freeze on games. I wondered if anyone had similar problems or knew the solution.

Many Thanks

Geza

This sounds like a heat problem. I could be that your cpu cooler isnt powerfull enough or it not fittet correctly.
There was also an report about faked AMD cpu’s that where sold as ones with a higher clockrate.

Hmm, I’m not convinced it’s a heat problem because the heatsink and fan I have is suppost to be good. Also i am getting idle speeds of 52C and the mobo is 35C constant. Along with this if i clock it up to its full, manufactured, speed it idles at the same temperatures but only freezes in the game.

I am not sure what you mean about “There was also an report about faked AMD cpu’s that where sold as ones with a higher clockrate” does that mean I could have bought a dud?! How can i tell?

Many thanks

Geza

Uh… so don’t overclock that much… Seriously, you can only overclock as much as your chip and/or system allows.

Why are you even overclocking? The major roadblock in performance on your machine is by far the video card. You’re endangering the well-being of several hundred dollars of computer parts for a god damned piece of crap MX 440!!!

HAH!! I agree entirely that the mx440 is crap but i dnt have the spare cash @ the mo for a new 1 :S so i’ll have to keep it 4 the moment untill a few months time. Anyway i think i might have made it unclear about what i was saying. I am not overclocking at all, personnaly i hate overclocking. I am actually underclocking it to 2.08ghz or something similar when it should be 2.17ghz. I have to do this to get games to work without locking up. Therefore, i am not sure exactly where the problem is coming from. Can you tell me if i can find out whether my xp 3000+ is a fake?!

Many thanks

Geza

Hey, just to let you know i have fixed the problem completely. If anyone else has the same problem just use older versions of the nvidia drivers.

Thanks for your help

Geza