quake3 arena

When i start up my Q3A the console says: GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL subsystem…What does that mean and how can i fix it?

Originally posted by Shappie:
When i start up my Q3A the console says: GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL subsystem…What does that mean and how can i fix it?

holy crud…im having this problem…i got glsetup and ran it and everything, but the problme still persists…i also recall having it before…but i cant remember how i fixed it. Also, unreal tournament stopped working, at about the same time. I REALLY need help, so can sombody? Uhhh…help?

Oh, sorry for double posting, but im running on a voodoo 3, ive never had many problems in the past, and I recently installed some ram.

Download and install gldirect from scitech. Worked for me. Unfortunately it is shareware and trial period is only for 20 days.

Sup there people…i am having the same problem with everyone…GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL subsystem…i cant play ANY openGL games i am really getting SICK of trying to fix this thing, and from what i c all you people are having the same stuff…WE REALLY NEED SOME HELP…IF ANYONE FINDS OUT HOW TO DO THIS PLZ PUBLISH IT HERE…

Originally posted by Mane:
Download and install gldirect from scitech. Worked for me. Unfortunately it is shareware and trial period is only for 20 days.

That not a solution, thats a crappy work arround. I don’t think you want opengl games to work through directx.

Anywazy, I’ve got the same problem. All was working fine, but now Quake doesn’t work anymore. (as a mather of fact, no opengl game works anymore).
I’ve tried to reinstall the drivers, i’ve tried glsetup… noting works.

So if anyone has an idea…

}>

here’s the solution for this problem…
inside ur windows folder there’s a file called WIN.INI just open it and look for a line that has “DVA=0” and change it to “DVA=1”, we tried it only on ASUS Geforce2 mx-400…works for all kinds of drivers…and i think it’ll work with u guys…i used to have the same crappy prob but after i did this i played QUAKE 3 arena, TEAM ARENA, HERETIC 2, Alond in the Dark 4, in other words ALL OPEN GL GAMES…try this stuff it’ll work…if any1 have anything to tell me my email is Tareq_84@hotmail.com

Hey there thanx for ur solution Razor_blade it really works for me…i used to have the same problem now i have it solved thanx alot…keep it going

Originally posted by Razor_blade:
here’s the solution for this problem…
inside ur windows folder there’s a file called WIN.INI just open it and look for a line that has “DVA=0” and change it to “DVA=1”, we tried it only on ASUS Geforce2 mx-400…works for all kinds of drivers…and i think it’ll work with u guys…i used to have the same crappy prob but after i did this i played QUAKE 3 arena, TEAM ARENA, HERETIC 2, Alond in the Dark 4, in other words ALL OPEN GL GAMES…try this stuff it’ll work…if any1 have anything to tell me my email is Tareq_84@hotmail.com

I have no DVA=0 entry in my win.ini
I guess I just should add it, where do i need to put it inside the win.ini?

}>

I found the location of the “dva=0” setting.
it is supposed to be in the [DrawDib] section of th win.ini

A added the line dva=1, same problem, quake (and all other opengl games, just freeze)

Then i’ve changed the line into dva=0, now quake wont even jump to opengl video mode… normal it does but then it just freezes

Probably my opengl problem is different then yours but I hope someone has a solution for this…

}>

Originally posted by Natas:
[b]I found the location of the “dva=0” setting.
it is supposed to be in the [DrawDib] section of th win.ini

A added the line dva=1, same problem, quake (and all other opengl games, just freeze)

Then i’ve changed the line into dva=0, now quake wont even jump to opengl video mode… normal it does but then it just freezes

Probably my opengl problem is different then yours but I hope someone has a solution for this…

}>[/b]

I have the same problem as you natas, I run pentium 4 1400 mghz, 256 ram, Geforce 3 and windows ME, there is no dva file and i don’t think you should be adding one. Nobody has been able to answer this question accurately enough to get it fixed.If this is happening to anbody else and you have solved it, please please tell me how.

I think it has something to do with software that is uninstalled… at first, every thing worked, then suddenly it didn’t.
I didn’t change any hardware, didn’t install new drivers…
I did remove some software and some games.

I think that a crappy game killed my opengl settings when I uninstalled it… but I don’t know wich one…

}>

I am having the same problem as everyone else here, runing ME. My problem, however, stems from multiple video cards. If I deactivate my second monitor, everything runs fine. Any suggestions how I can play and still keep my second monitor on?

Originally posted by Just wanna play:
I am having the same problem as everyone else here, runing ME. My problem, however, stems from multiple video cards. If I deactivate my second monitor, everything runs fine. Any suggestions how I can play and still keep my second monitor on?

I’ve heared about this problem from several people. The only solution at the moment is… disable the second monitor while playing opengl games… at least thats what i’ve heared about it.

}>

Look here: http://support.atitech.ca/infobase/3235.html

It seems to be a windows 9x/me problem… it doesn’t load the opengl drivers in a multi monitor configuration.

}>

what vid card are you using for your primary display. if your using a voodoo, go to www.wicked3d.com and d/l wickedgl drivers. you pay about 7 bucks, but its well worth it, much better performance than 3dfx drivers and great dual monitor support. hope this helps.

I’ve been working on this problem for four weeks. New MB with Duralon 900 and Radeon 32 video. OpenGL failed to run and DXdiag would only run in safe mode.
Have tried latest drivers from VIA and ATI, latest openGL and directX8.
Tried a new install of Windows98 - still didn’t work. As a last resort I installed Windows 2000 Prof upgrade in a dual boot config, VIA drivers that came with MB, ATI drivers that came with video, and IT WORKS!!!.

[b] I’ve heared about this problem from several people. The only solution at the moment is… disable the second monitor while playing opengl games… at least thats what i’ve heared about it.

}>[/b]

of course you ahve problems, not only would multiple video cards be a big part in that but Win ME is completely SCREWED! One of my comps has a SIS6326 and thatl show the gl error and the other has a Geeforce 64meg vid card and the Gforce is perfect! Also for people with GL errors, some vid cards DO NOT support Open GL programs.

[b] I’ve heared about this problem from several people. The only solution at the moment is… disable the second monitor while playing opengl games… at least thats what i’ve heared about it.

}>[/b]

of course you ahve problems, not only would multiple video cards be a big part in that but Win ME is completely SCREWED! One of my comps has a SIS6326 and thatl show the gl error and the other has a Geeforce 64meg vid card and the Gforce is perfect! Also for people with GL errors, some vid cards DO NOT support Open GL programs.