OpenGL driver setting: MIPMAP filtering?

I just noticed that the “use fast linear-mipmap-linear filtering” option on my RIVA TNT2 OpenGL settings is DISABLED? Any reason for this? Thanks.

Because this is the default setting. linear_mipmap_linear refers to the OpenGL setting for trilinear filtering. I’m not sure, but I believe this option makes the linear_mipmap_linear attribute equivalent to linear_mipmap_nearest. With this option on, instead of blending mipmap levels for a smooth transition, the nearest mipmap level is used. If you turn it on, you should be able to see textures suddenly get fuzzy as they move into the distance. IMO, it looks bad, and it’s not worth the slight speed increase, which is probably why it’s off by default.

thanks, appreciate the reply

Originally posted by RandonName2907429:
Because this is the default setting. linear_mipmap_linear refers to the OpenGL setting for trilinear filtering. I’m not sure, but I believe this option makes the linear_mipmap_linear attribute equivalent to linear_mipmap_nearest. With this option on, instead of blending mipmap levels for a smooth transition, the nearest mipmap level is used. If you turn it on, you should be able to see textures suddenly get fuzzy as they move into the distance. IMO, it looks bad, and it’s not worth the slight speed increase, which is probably why it’s off by default.