OpenGL software rendering

Hello,

I’m not sure if this is the best place to ask this question, but I’ve already tried the FreeBSD-questions list and got no response so I thought I’d try here.

Has anyone tried OpenGL software rendering on a FreeBSD system with Nate Robins tutorial programs located here: http://www.xmission.com/~nate/tutors/tutors.zip

I get a black background and the menus seem to be working, but that’s it. Sometimes the programs produce areas of randomly colored pixels. However, if I then load the kernel module for my graphics card (Voodoo 5 5500) and restart X so I get hardware acceleration then the programs produce appropriate output. Currently, I’m learning GL programming using software rendering because the dri voodoo driver has a problem with colormaps.Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else experiences similar problems with software rendering.

My system is using the following:

AMD Athlon classic 850Mhz
EPOX EP-7KXA motherboard
Voodoo 5 5500 vid card
FreeBSD 4.7 with my own configuration
XFree86 4.3.0 packages from packages-4-stable

phil

You may want to try the coding boards on this site or the linux board (yes, I know…)

This board is overwhelmed by end-lusers who nuked their OpenGL so badly that they cant play game XYZ anymore…

sights