geforce2 MX problems, please help..

Hello,

Hey, do i have to install OpenGL? When i installed my Video card it had OpenGL 1.2, unless this was something else… When i tried to play Quake III Arena it says could not load Opengl, how can i fix this ? Is ELSA GLADIAC geforce2 MX supported for OpenGL ?

Just incase, heres my Computer Configuration :
Operating System : Windows 98 Second Edition
Memory Ram : 128.0
Video Card : ELSA Gladiac geforce2 MX 32MB
Audio Card : Sound Blaster Live! [B800]
Motherboard : ASUS P3B-F Jumper Free ATX Motherboard Intel 440VX AGPset
Direct X version : 8.0a ( about to change to Direct X 7.0a )
Processor : Pentium III 600mhz

If you need more information please ask : )

Thanks for reading!, Hope you can help!

Hello? is anyone out there? please someone help me out. : )

Well my sys is different from yours but I did have the OpenGL problem with my GeForce2 mx vidcard. For my via chipset mobo I had to set the agp drivers to standard and NOT turbo, This has the effect of slowing down your agp ( on my FIC-503+ mobo) to 1x! A drag for frame rates but it did restore my opengl. Quake 3 engine games work fine and halflife too.

See if you have a speed setting in your BIOS for AGP 1-4x you may have to play with it.

Hope this might guide you in the right direction.

abel

Hello,

Hmm… okay, may i ask, what was your system ?
ok, but i dont really want to do that, i’ll probably mess up my pc or something. By the way, did you have a OpenGL drivers that came with your video card? ( i think the version was 1.2 ) Did you download the OpenGL drivers from GLsetup.com ?

Thanks for reading! Hope you can help me out! : )

Hello ? can anyone else please help me out here ?

Hi
Your problem is really common
Best you can do is search in this forum
for another that got your probs.

If you install the newest driver to your card
you dont need the GL-setup.
Find out if you got a line in win.ini called DVA if its so put a semicolon in front of it and save it. “;dva” without quotes.

Hello thelv,

Okay, thanks for the tip! I think i have the newest driver for my Video card ( Winman Suite, about to change to Detonator3, trying to figure out how. ) Okay, i hope your right… What will happen if i put ;dva in my win.ini ? ( where is it anyway ? )

Thanks!

Sorry V,

I couldn’t get back to you. I have an old mobo, FIC VA-503+, amd k6-2 400mhz, Hercules 3d prophet II mx but even if our systems aren’t the same you may find some advice at:
www.geforcefaq.com

oops forgot to say…

I use the openGl drivers that came with my card. I ran opengl setup ( from opengl.org) and it told me I had the newest drivers.

Hello Abel,

Okay thanks for the link, hope it will help. Hmm… you mean the OpenGL setup from GLsetup.com ? ( The really big file, i think it was 80-90MB or something. )

Thanks!!

Hey Thelv i forgot to mention, i dont have " DVA=0 on my win.ini, what should i do ??

Thanks.

Hello Villafuerte,

I don’t have that DVA line either. The setup I ran was a small one you’ll find it here:
www.glsetup.com/where.htm

The same page mentions the 80 mb one and that was defenetly to the app I used.

live well

abel

opps typo.I meant I DID NOT use the 80mb file.

A lot of the folks with your problem seem to have AMD and VIA mobos. You are the first I noticed with intel.

luck.

Hi Cvilla
sorry Ive been away.

Your config should work with OpenGL without probs.
The must common problem is this DVA line but it seems not to be your problem because you havent got it.
The GL-setup contains the latest drivers for all common cards(that why its so big 80mb).
You really doesnt need to do the GL setup if you got the latest drivers to your card.
But in your case give it a try. But remember during the install you probably get the question “youve already have the drivers youll need. Do you want to force the new drivers over the already installed”. Choose yes I want to force…

Give me a wink of your status afterwards.

cu

Hello,

Abel : Hmm… okay, your using OpenGL Version 1.2 right ? Did you use the 80mb opengl before ?

Thelv : It’s okay :slight_smile: Hmmm… alright… But, is there any other method to fix this problem? I really dont wanna get the older drivers of OpenGL ( Dont wanna risk anything ) but if thats the only way, guess ill force my self to.

Thanks guys! :slight_smile:

Hi

Well the OpenGL setup contains the GL-drivers you need to play the latest games.
Not to worry about that. But Im not sure thats your problem but you really have to give it a try. Theres no risk at all.

cu

Well, alright, but it will take me some time to download it since im on a very Slow 56k : ) How can i change back or upgrade to OpenGL 1.2 once i get it back working ?

Thanks.

hi

Ok hold on.

Do the easy way first. Uninstall your old graphic drivers. Start your compu in safe mode and then do the uninstall. When youve done the uninstall reboot and choose vga-display drivers then reboot again and install the drivers that follow your card.(well You probably figure this out yourself).

Lets see if this works first. Cause the drivers that follow your card really should work.

Skip the GL setup for a while

Just in case you do the GL setup and want to change back theres a uninstall option.

I installed the new detonator 3 drivers from www.nvidia.com;
The OpenGL - Performance is super!
-> www.gltron.org

Karl

Originally posted by CVillafuerte:
[b]Hello,

Hey, do i have to install OpenGL? When i installed my Video card it had OpenGL 1.2, unless this was something else… When i tried to play Quake III Arena it says could not load Opengl, how can i fix this ? Is ELSA GLADIAC geforce2 MX supported for OpenGL ?

Just incase, heres my Computer Configuration :
Operating System : Windows 98 Second Edition
Memory Ram : 128.0
Video Card : ELSA Gladiac geforce2 MX 32MB
Audio Card : Sound Blaster Live! [B800]
Motherboard : ASUS P3B-F Jumper Free ATX Motherboard Intel 440VX AGPset
Direct X version : 8.0a ( about to change to Direct X 7.0a )
Processor : Pentium III 600mhz

If you need more information please ask : )

Thanks for reading!, Hope you can help![/b]

Thelv : Alright, im suppose to use the add/remove programs to uninstall it right? How do you go to safe mode? And what are VGA-Display drivers? Sorry for the dumb questions but i dont know them : ( by the way, i didnt completely download the OPenGL drivers yet, keep on getting error, i did reach a 4.5kb : )

Thanks!