NT GL Crashes in True Color

I am unable to get any OpenGL apps (games, 3D app, even the default screensavers) to run in True color. They will all run in 256 colors.

I have completely re-installed WinNT multiple times (up to sp6a). I have tried both an nVidia TNT2 card and a GeForce card (with nVidia Detonator 2 and 3 drivers and the Cretive drives on the GeForce as well). No matter what I do i cannot get it to work.

I have remove all my other hardware/cards. I have read here things about chipsets being bad. I have an HP Pavillion 8565 (500MHz PIII). How so I figure out what chipset I have?

I have checked al the setting in te BIOS, and there are no settings like AGP Aperature size of force VGA.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Joe

I also just tried the VIA 4in1 drivers with no change. I am assuming since the driver installed that I have a VIA chipset??

Thanks,

Joe

Joe,

It’s not just you. I have the exact problem with my Elsa Gloria II (quadro) card and NT4. I have tried everything like…

1. Card has own IRQ (11)
  2. Set aperature to half of ram (set to 64 meg)
  3. Installed every driver/BIOS update available.
  4. Not able to assign IRQ to VGA in BIOS.

We are prolly going to try getting a new card next. Have you tried your card in any other PC?

At least with my Elsa card, the 256 color setting disables the hardware acceleration and reverts to the software renderer. At which point OpenGL works, but slower.

-Brian Cranston

[This message has been edited by Rattler (edited 09-26-2000).]

Originally posted by Rattler:

We are prolly going to try getting a new card next. Have you tried your card in any other PC?

I have not tired the card in another PC, but I have tried two different cards. One was the TNT2 that came with my HP computer. The other is a GeForce 2 GTS (Creative Labs Anihilator2).

At one point a while back I did have Open GL working on the TNT2. I was able to launch Quake and use the OGL screensavers. Now I cannot even do this! I do not understand. I updated my VIA drivers to no avail.

I have no idea if this makes any difference, but I have learned that I have a 133MHz bus, but the RAM they put in there is PC100. I wonder if this messes with DMA? Anyone?

Thanks,

Joe

Follow up:
After some go-round with Elsa tech support, we convinced them that the card was bad. Three weeks later, I now have a card that works. OpenGL worked right away and hasn’t stopped yet. It looks like it was a hardware problem.

-Brian Cranston

[This message has been edited by Rattler (edited 11-01-2000).]