Low fps in certain parts of OpenGL games

Have problems in Chronicles of Riddick, Doom 3 and Call of duty: Unites Offensive the games run fine at most parts of the games even on high detail setting, but as soon there is shooting and explosions the fps sinks. The strange thing is that even if i turn down all detail settings to the lowest and change resolution to 640X480 it still doesn’t change anything the fps sinks just as much anyway. When i run 3DMark03 (witch isn’t OpenGL) the game tests run smoothly, the fps sinks for a short while to 14fps during game test 4 (witch is a extremly hardware demanding test) the other tests runs mostly over 30fps sinks down rarely to 20fps. The score in 3DMark03 is 6300. The problem isn’t as extrem in COD:UO as in the other two games. In Max Payne 2 (witch isn’t OpenGL) there is no problem, runs fine even on highest detail settings and 1024X768 resolution. Have recently changed gfx-card from a Leadtek GeforceFX 5900XT to a XFX Geforce 6600GT the same problem on both, and have testet to change from the inbuilt C-Media audio device to a Soundblaster card. In COD:UO it says: OUT OF EFFECT MEMORY in red text when the problem ocure. It seems like there is something with certain special effects in OpenGL games that my system doesn’t like.

My system specs:
CPU: P4 Celeron 2.5GHz
Memory: 1024 Mb DDR
Mainboard: ECS P4S5A/DX+
Grafix card: XFX Geforce 6600GT
Sound: Sondblaster Live
Gfx driver version: 71.84 (newest)
Sound driver: latest

Maybe not the most extremly hardware but it should easily be able to handle the the absolutly lowest settings in the games.

I doubt that its a problem with OpenGL or graphics in general. I suspect something else is killing your performance. What that may be is hard to track without seeing the system but here is a short check list:

-spyware/malware/trojans (eating CPU cycles)
-lots of background applications (eating CPU cycles)
-low disc space (this will generate loads of entries in the system log, eating CPU cycles)
-thermal CPU throttling due to a defective/incorrectly mounted heatsink
-PCI transfer troubles (SBLive)
-incorrect AGP aperture size (may disable AGP all together)
-the list goes on

Doom 3 seem very dependant on CPU power, especially whenever there is at least one monster visible. And that does not depend on the detail settings.
However your processor should handle the load. I don’t have more clues :confused:

Originally posted by ZbuffeR:
However your processor should handle the load. I don’t have more clues :confused:
And the point of your post was?

Well i have gone thru your list but it doesn’t seem to be any of those. Don’t think i have any spyware or virus because i have a anti-virus program (Avast 4.6) that updates it’s virus database like three times a week and i have done a boot time scan and it didn’t find anything. And there is no other problems like when i surf the net and do other things under Windows, just those specific parts of games. And i use the Win xp (SP2) firewall since last time i formated my HD. Have turned of all background programs i have like Avast and Deamon tool. I have several Gb free space on my HD’s. Have tried both the built in sound card and SBLive. My agp aparture size is 64Mb witch is half the size of the memory on my gfx-card that’s what as far as i know is correct to have. The temperature of my CPU is about 48C when i check in the bios. Have tried to run a game and quickly quiting during the parts that there is problems in and restart the computer and check in the bios and it was the same. Is there anyway to check temperature of the CPU under Windows so i can look exactly when i play, like in RivaTuner i can Check GPU Core temp and ambient temp of gfx-card.

One other thing just came to mind. Do have vsync enabled?

If that is the case you will see the following in some cases:

If your refreshrate is set for example to 60Hz your framerate will be capped at 60 FPS as long as your hardware can renderer the scene with more then 60 FPS but as so much stuff is going on that the scene can only be rendered at 50 FPS your effictive FPS will drop to 30 FPS because the GPU waits for the next vertical blank.

There are usually two places where you can enable/disable vsync:

a.) In the game itself
b.) In the driver/tweaker this can override a.)

I should register some day. If I do, I could correct all those damn typos. :smiley:

Originally posted by <qwerty77>:
I should register some day. If I do, I could correct all those damn typos. :smiley:
Uh… typeos built charakter

LOL! :smiley:

Originally posted by blobb_mange:
Well i have gone thru your list but it doesn’t seem to be any of those. Don’t think i have any spyware or virus because i have a anti-virus program (Avast 4.6) that updates it’s virus database like three times a week and i have done a boot time scan and it didn’t find anything. And there is no other problems like when i surf the net and do other things under Windows, just those specific parts of games. And i use the Win xp (SP2) firewall since last time i formated my HD. Have turned of all background programs i have like Avast and Deamon tool. I have several Gb free space on my HD’s. Have tried both the built in sound card and SBLive. My agp aparture size is 64Mb witch is half the size of the memory on my gfx-card that’s what as far as i know is correct to have. The temperature of my CPU is about 48C when i check in the bios. Have tried to run a game and quickly quiting during the parts that there is problems in and restart the computer and check in the bios and it was the same. Is there anyway to check temperature of the CPU under Windows so i can look exactly when i play, like in RivaTuner i can Check GPU Core temp and ambient temp of gfx-card.
Changing aperature size won’t do much good, specially if you set the game on minimum.

You have a weird problem. You get OUT OF EFFECT MEMORY in COD with al that memory?

I don’t think you have a overheating problem but you can try PC Wizard, CPU-Z and a few others I forget.

I suggest you try another OS. Do you have Win2k?
Or try WinXP without any SP installed.
My personal wild guess is that it’s OS related.