Q3 Arena, OpenGL & Radeon

I am using a Radeon Vid card, Athlon 900Mhz processor, ASUS K7V-RM motherboard w/256M RAM. All products have latest driver installed, but when I attempt to install OpenGL program I get a invalid page fault on one or more TMP files…for example GLC5025.TMP, GLC1351.TMP, and GLC3183.TMP. I cannot get Q3 Arena to play at all, screen comes up with just garbage. Only because I know the keystrokes can I exit the game. I’ve written to each manufacturer, now I’m counting on end users of these products to know more than they do. I’ll appreciate any suggestions you might have…thanx.

If you having trouble with installing programs does that not have anything to do with OpenGL. Sounds like your system is messed up…

Would something set improperly in the system prevent the OpenGL 1.21 version from installing? I would think it would install and then simply not perform as expected. When I install the program I constantly get a page fault error on “different” tmp files, but I’m open to suggestion…:>

Originally posted by gl_man:
If you having trouble with installing programs does that not have anything to do with OpenGL. Sounds like your system is messed up…

Am I correct in assuming that you recently upgraded part of your system, rather than purchasing a completely new, tested system? If so, the problem probably lies in your system configuration, not in OpenGL specifically. I’d re-install windows, then patch your bios/agp controller, then install all your drivers, then install your openGL programs 1 at a time, patching each one in turn… see if that fixes your problem.

Also, I discourage anyone from using the ASUS K7 line of motherboards with AGP cards, as I had long-running and uncorrectable problems with a previous system (faulty VIA AGP controller and/or drivers resulted in lockups, no known way to correct this problem, yet a sizable minority of Athlon/ASUS users were reporting it).

I too had trouble with the ASUS board and the AGP video card, so I returned that card and purchased the PCI. I’ve been using this type of card ever since I built the system.
I took your advice and totally reinstalled everything…from scratch. What I have now is I can play Quake Arena, but I cannot play it in fullscreen mode. If I go to fullscreen, the video is slower than frozen molasses and audio clips making one think there’s a hardware conflict. I’m still trying and am very much open to suggestion. Thanks for your input…twas helpful…:>

Originally posted by Chromebender:
[b]Am I correct in assuming that you recently upgraded part of your system, rather than purchasing a completely new, tested system? If so, the problem probably lies in your system configuration, not in OpenGL specifically. I’d re-install windows, then patch your bios/agp controller, then install all your drivers, then install your openGL programs 1 at a time, patching each one in turn… see if that fixes your problem.

Also, I discourage anyone from using the ASUS K7 line of motherboards with AGP cards, as I had long-running and uncorrectable problems with a previous system (faulty VIA AGP controller and/or drivers resulted in lockups, no known way to correct this problem, yet a sizable minority of Athlon/ASUS users were reporting it).[/b]