OpenGL and older Laptop question...

Ok, so I’ve finished my computer science graphics course, but I’d like to continue my graphics programming and develop good coding practice, etc. I’ve got VC++ 6.0 installed. The problem is, I’m not sure that my laptop even has a video card as it isn’t listed under system devices. It’s also frustrating finding information on my laptop’s configuration. I’m looking through the paper stuff that came with the laptop but there’s nothing on hardware specs, the only thing is a CD which may or may not have what I’m looking for

It’s a presario 1700T purchased in mid 2001, Pentium III 800 Mhz, 128 RAM, and I have little other information than that.

If it turns out I don’t have a card or it doesn’t support OpenGL I’m in trouble… although I already suspect I am because the NeHe tutorials I ran were very slow.

Anyway, thanks for any help you can give.

HP bought Compaq a while back and took over the support.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?lc=en&cc=us&dest_page=product&dlc=en&product=95248

You will find the proper drivers + documentation at the above link.

Try the display drivers and see if they enable hardware acceleration, but dont expect too much, its not exactly top-of-the-line 3d hardware.

Thanks, but the only driver which is named ‘SetVideo Utility for Windows’ doesn’t look from its title like what I’m looking for. There’s no description of any sort for it either, so I don’t want to end up DLing and installing a driver that might end up braking things (like a few drivers I could mention). Oh well, at least you tried.

Uh, that means that you dont run XP on that thing (which you could have mentioned in the first place).

So which Windows version are you running?

My laptop’s using Windows ME. Sad but true.