S3 Savage on a laptop..any drivers?

hey, i have a tuxtop laptop (www.tuxtops.com) with linux and windows on it and it came with an S3 Savage video card in it. They responded to my email and said that it is impossible to upgrade the video card. I downloaded the glsetup.exe thing but it says i have an unsupported display device! I can’t run Quake III Arena on it! Does anyone know a place i can find a driver? or if you’ve heard a rumor about an upcoming version of OpenGL with my video card in the compatibility list? please reply asap, thanks a pooload.

Originally posted by staticdaemon:
hey, i have a tuxtop laptop (www.tuxtops.com) with linux and windows on it and it came with an [b] S3 Savage video card in it. They responded to my email and said that it is impossible to upgrade the video card. I downloaded the glsetup.exe thing but it says i have an unsupported display device! [/B} I can’t run Quake III Arena on it! Does anyone know a place i can find a driver? or if you’ve heard a rumor about an upcoming version of OpenGL with my video card in the compatibility list? please reply asap, thanks a pooload.

Well. i have IBM Thinkpad T20, which is equipped with Savage IX… and the opengl drivers really suck… this machine had serious problems (hanging the computer etc.) in running hardware accelerated opengl-apps, but when I installed the latest drivers found from IBM’s site, everything is much better now (however, the opengl drivers are still not functioning correctly (e.g. Selection-mode problems)). You could find the latest drivers for your machine from www.savagenews.com. That is the site that pointed me to the IBM site in the first place. I hope that site helps you. Please note, that the problem does not lie on OpenGL itself (or any forthcoming opengl versions), but on S3’s poor programmers who implemented the drivers. Unfortunately those suckers think that you will only use your expensive laptop for playing direct-3d games on it. (and S3 / VIA should notice that they have lost the competition for implementing the 3d-hardware for xbox… so pay attention to opengl now, please.)

-Jyrki.

p.s. formula one season just started! Go Hakkinen go! Go Raikkonen go!