OpenGl problem??? help plz...

I have downloaded this game from downloads.com “Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory” and after installation i tried running the game but this error kept poping up:

“GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL subsystem”

and here is the full detail on the loading screen:

ET 2.60 win-x86 Mar 10 2005
----- FS_Startup -----
Current search path:
C:\PROGRA~1\WOLFEN~1\etmain\pak2.pk3 (22 files)
C:\PROGRA~1\WOLFEN~1\etmain\pak1.pk3 (10 files)
C:\PROGRA~1\WOLFEN~1\etmain\pak0.pk3 (3725 files)
C:\PROGRA~1\WOLFEN~1\etmain\mp_bin.pk3 (6 files)
C:\PROGRA~1\WOLFEN~1/etmain

3763 files in pk3 files
execing default.cfg
couldn’t exec language.cfg
couldn’t exec autoexec.cfg
Hunk_Clear: reset the hunk ok
…detecting CPU, found AMD w/ 3DNow!
Bypassing CD checks
----- Client Initialization -----
----- Initializing Renderer ----

----- Client Initialization Complete -----
----- R_Init -----
Initializing OpenGL subsystem
…initializing QGL
…calling LoadLibrary( ‘C:\WINDOWS\system32\opengl32.dll’ ): succeeded
…setting mode 4: 800 600 FS
…using desktop display depth of 32
…calling CDS: ok
…registered window class
…created window@0,0 (800x600)
Initializing OpenGL driver
…getting DC: succeeded
…GLW_ChoosePFD( 32, 24, 0 )
…35 PFDs found
…GLW_ChoosePFD failed
…GLW_ChoosePFD( 32, 24, 0 )
…35 PFDs found
…GLW_ChoosePFD failed
…failed to find an appropriate PIXELFORMAT
…restoring display settings
…WARNING: could not set the given mode (4)
…setting mode 4: 800 600 FS
…using colorsbits of 16
…calling CDS: ok
…created window@0,0 (800x600)
Initializing OpenGL driver
…getting DC: succeeded
…GLW_ChoosePFD( 16, 16, 0 )
…35 PFDs found
…GLW_ChoosePFD failed
…GLW_ChoosePFD( 16, 16, 0 )
…35 PFDs found
…GLW_ChoosePFD failed
…failed to find an appropriate PIXELFORMAT
…restoring display settings
…WARNING: could not set the given mode (3)
…shutting down QGL
…unloading OpenGL DLL
…assuming ‘3dfxvgl’ is a standalone driver
…initializing QGL
…WARNING: missing Glide installation, assuming no 3Dfx available
…shutting down QGL
----- CL_Shutdown -----
RE_Shutdown( 1 )

GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL subsystem

what does it mean? any help plz. thanks!

I also get the same problem in installing Jedi Academy. Please help. My video drivers are updated (GeForce FX 5200 v78.01), but the game says the same thing. Help!

hi I also get the same problem running call of duty with an gforce fx 5200 v78.01

Maybe these games need to be patched. Visit www.fileplanet.com or some similar site.

dudes, i have trouble about jedi academy too. i am using 256 mb ati rodeon 9250. it says there was an opengl problem.how can i do for that?

me too i have the same broblem with same game Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory

What version of opengl do you have?

I have the same problem and have discovered that if I reboot my machine (P4 2.8GHz, ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe Mobo, ASUS V9999 GE vid card, 2GB RAM) it loads the OpenGL drivers that come with the nVidia driver package that I always keep up to date. GLinfo reports that this is v2.0.

At this point I can play Doom 3 or Quake 4. However once I quit out of the game and leave the machine running for just a minute or two, Windows (Win XP SP2) loads the Microsoft mini gl driver, which of course means all the function pointers revert to this driver. Which GLinfo reports as being v1.1 and doesn’t have the necessary extensions to run Doom 3 and similar games.

How can I force Windows not to load the damn Microsoft driver?

I’ve read about a bunch of solutions, including the DVA=1 entry in win.ini but nothing so far has stopped this happening.

I guess if I knew exactly which files to delete or rename I could do that - although Windows has a habit of ‘being helpful’ and retrieving files it deems to be ‘missing’.

No idea. Took me ages to get it to stop doing it on 98.

Come to the conclusion that Microsoft hates OpenGL.

Originally posted by <Anduril>:
[b]I have the same problem and have discovered that if I reboot my machine (P4 2.8GHz, ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe Mobo, ASUS V9999 GE vid card, 2GB RAM) it loads the OpenGL drivers that come with the nVidia driver package that I always keep up to date. GLinfo reports that this is v2.0.

At this point I can play Doom 3 or Quake 4. However once I quit out of the game and leave the machine running for just a minute or two, Windows (Win XP SP2) loads the Microsoft mini gl driver, which of course means all the function pointers revert to this driver. Which GLinfo reports as being v1.1 and doesn’t have the necessary extensions to run Doom 3 and similar games.

How can I force Windows not to load the damn Microsoft driver?

I’ve read about a bunch of solutions, including the DVA=1 entry in win.ini but nothing so far has stopped this happening.

I guess if I knew exactly which files to delete or rename I could do that - although Windows has a habit of ‘being helpful’ and retrieving files it deems to be ‘missing’.[/b]
I have exactly same problems (look at thread OpenGL reset). Every reboot, after few minutes, Windows resets the drivers to 1.1 Generic GDI.
I haven’t found a solution to this. I even tried with RivaTuner to autoforce OpenGL version. It does not work. DVA=1 also does not work.