OpenGL and Baldur's Gate II

Baldur’s Gate II is the only (I repeat the -ONLY- game) that will not work in 3D mode. I’m sure I have the latest drivers for my Stealth III S540 (not Xtreme) card, and for Windows 9X. Thankfully, do to my rather limited programming knowledge, I know that the problem lies in the back page flipping. OpenGL and DirectX (or whatever it’s using at that point) aren’t communicating well, and not flipping the back buffers correctly, so I get this weird, almost inexplicable flashing all over my screen. Basically, every where my mouse has been on the screen flashes in groups of three (triple back buffer).

HELP!!! =)

Do you have the latest patch for the game?

I have the last patch for the game, and Direct X 9.0 running at Windows 98 4.0.1998.

Yeah, BG2, even with TOB expansion added, always seems to have problems working in 3D mode. I am currently using a GeForce2Mx with its latest drivers and the frames per second are completely ridicule.

Please, ¿is there a solution for Baldur´s Gate-TOB 3D acceleration, or i´m forced to play 2D as always? It´s so frustrating…

Originally posted by Lance:
[b]I have the last patch for the game, and Direct X 9.0 running at Windows 98 4.0.1998.

Yeah, BG2, even with TOB expansion added, always seems to have problems working in 3D mode. I am currently using a GeForce2Mx with its latest drivers and the frames per second are completely ridicule.

Please, ¿is there a solution for Baldur´s Gate-TOB 3D acceleration, or i´m forced to play 2D as always? It´s so frustrating…[/b]

Well, you are using a old video card. What is your screen resolution set to and what FPS are you getting in 3D? Are you using hardware 3D or software 3D?

According to the techincal FAQ, the BG readme.txt file has more information:
http://www.interplay.com/bgate2/technicalfaq.html

640x480…and of course, 3D hardware acceleration, with ALL diplay card options running only in maximun performance chosen option.
My graphic card might be old, but the game is even more, and therefore i don´t figure that it could be an issue, since i have also used in the past a more powerful tool and the results were the same.

This annoying thing i have played and suffering every time when i was within any area of this game, i reallly can´t understandad it at all. I repeat, ¿glsetup wouldn´t help me in any way?

I suposse not if it is only an automatic proccedure for download the latest driver for my GeForce…but i´m desesperate at this point.

By the way, BG2 frames go up when i was using direct x 8.0, but i can´t play other games properly with that thing, so i haven´t got any more ideas to deal with.

Sorry for my poor english, i´m an spanish folk

Yeah, i have reading the .txt files a lot of times…but i haven´t got any kind of improvement using that setting advices. In fact, the game runs almost perfectly at 2D mode with software rendering, but that makes spells effects at least 75% percent less atractive.

Anyway, is there not an opengl.org claimed word that the software render is always much slower, than the opengl 3D device controller taking care of the same function?

Originally posted by Lance:

My graphic card might be old, but the game is even more, and therefore i don´t figure that it could be an issue, since i have also used in the past a more powerful tool and the results were the same.

Actually that card came out in the summer of 2000.

BG2:TOB came out in the summer of 2001, about a full year later.

And you never said what kind of FPS you’re getting.

I’m afraid with such an old card and such an old game, there’s not much anyone can do to help you.