DirectX 10 features in OpenGL before Vista ?

So what are the chances of getting the advanced rendering features from DirectX 10 (in particular geometry shaders) in OpenGL before Vista (and DX10) arrives ? IMO It seems like a chance for the OpenGL community to steal a march on Microsoft.

Even a software implementation would be interesting for R&D purposes…

See this thread:
http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=014831

Does it matter? I mean, it’s not like any actual developers will get the chance to use it without hardware. And it’s not like any actual product (at least, not a game) will see the light of day using DX10-level features for a good year or two minimum.

Yes, it does! Games are not the only usage for these cards. I am really looking forward to trying something like realtime raytracing on those, since they seem to be much better suited for this with the ability to output additional primitives (although creating a stack still seems to be difficult).

Originally posted by Korval:
it’s not like any actual product (at least, not a game) will see the light of day using DX10-level features for a good year or two minimum.
Why not, some of the more popular openGL based games may add some minor DX10-level paths to increase the performance for those that have the hardware.
It would be just perfect if the doom3/quake4/prey engine could use the geoshader to build their stencil volumes, and my guess is that it’s just itching in the fingers of those programmers to implement it.

You all forget this, iD and others get this hardware before we ever do and know about it before any of us. So if they wanted to they could code this in way before its released so the engine could use it if they wanted to put the effort into it. I am pumped at the idea of what’s coming down the pipe and with the Geforce 8 series this will breath new life into XP with OpenGL vs. Vista Dx10. As a developer one could sell games on XP for a long time considering the power that is now available to the XP user. Once Nvidia comes out with a 8600/8200 gamers who don’t want to spend a lot on hardware and Vista can now get DX10 quality gfx and all it would take is developers to code their engine in OpenGL…