halflife

i have a geforce 256 and halflife will only let me use direct 3d but i want to use open gl… it keeps giving me a ‘your hardware does not support that vidio mode’ when i try to use any opengl selection… i have all the latest drivers… please help!!

does quake 2 work with open gl
or any other open gl rendered games?

Originally posted by RJZViper:
i have a geforce 256 and halflife will only let me use direct 3d but i want to use open gl… it keeps giving me a ‘your hardware does not support that vidio mode’ when i try to use any opengl selection… i have all the latest drivers… please help!!

Make sure u install the patches for half life in exact order: original half life, 1104 then 1106. Also u can copy the opengl32.dll into your half life folder and it should fix the problem.

Originally posted by jimbo:
[b]does quake 2 work with open gl
or any other open gl rendered games?

[/b]

Yes, in fact OpenGL is the only API Quake 2 supports. As well as 3dfx’s miniGL to work on voodoo based cards. U can’t run q2 in direct3d.

I have very much similar problem with CS. I have RivaTNT2 and all the newest drivers, but I can’t make the darn game work ; says the same thing about opengl not being supported. I have copied the opengl32.dll to pretty much every possible folder, but keep getting the same results. And this isn’t even the funniest part.

I actually played with opengl just fine a week ago. Yes, that’s what I did, and I truly can’t remember changing my display driver- or other settings at all ; the bugger just didn’t work one morning. I can’t remember how I worked with the patches thou. It’s was quite a long time ago that I first installed Half-life.

This would seem to lead to the conclusion that there is either something wrong with hl or with nvidia chipsets and hl - I have an nvidia chip in my card.

Some more help on this subject would be appreciated, as the official customer support of the game has once again failed me.