OpenGL dies after reboot (long read!)

hello! (my first post)

Problem: OpenGL apps stop working after i reboot

Sistem:
AMD Athlon XP 2100P+
MSI K7N2-L (nForce 2)
SimpleTech 512MB PC2700 DDR DIMM
ATI RADEON 9500 PRO 128MB
Creative SB Live 5.1 (Creative INSPIRE 5.1)
Zalman CNPS6000-CU
LiteOn CDRW 48x24x48
Pioneer DVD106S
IBM 100GB 7200 A100
3com EtherLink 10/100

Details:
I install new Catalyst drivers 3.2 on a clean registry. I try a OpenGL app (q3a, ut, glexcess,…). everything is working great [q3a(140 FPS at 1600x1200 - High settings), UT(avg. FPS 90 at 1600x1200), GLexsess(7645 points)
no complaints…

i reboot, or shutdown…and i try to play again… q3a freezes in 2-4min, ut freezes at startup when the menu is displayed. D3D works great, Unreal on d3d and UT2k3 all work great on d3d.

…i changed the ram, i changed the card, i installed a fresh new copy of winXP (Pro SP1), installed DX9a, tryed the old Catalyst drivers (3.0, 3.1), cleaned the registry using DriverClean (before i had GeForce 2 MX), removed all my other cards (Creative Live, ISDN modem, 3com Ethernet,…)

More info:
i noticed that when i delete windows/system/opengl32.dll opengl apps work but the graphics suck or work very very slow! ut works but with avg FPS at 12 - 14
if i "expand and use the old atioglxx.dl_ that some people advised to try the UT & q3a locks up in a sek.

other games on opengl dont work as well (q2, sof, sof2, mdk2, mafia, dungeon siege,…)

ATI support emailed me the correct Bios setting for their card. i hav K7N2 (MS-6570) V3.3 BIOS.
i fixet some things when i Enabled the System Bios Cacheable. before i had it disabled. cos now my opengl apps (q3a, ut, glexcess) run for about 5-8min before they freeze.

Bios info:
i applyed this with the help of ATI support
-Video BIOS Shadow and Video BIOS Cacheable - DISABLED
-AGP Aperture size - 64 MB (128 MB if you have 512 MB of RAM or greater installed)
-PnP OS installed - YES
-VGA Palette Snooping - DISABLED
-Disable any manual configuration of PCI by setting these options to AUTO
-Init Primary Display - AGP
-System Bios Cacheable - ENABLED
-AGP Fastwrite - DISABLED
-AGP Voltage - Try setting at 1.6 or 1.7, test in this order. If no change put it back to automatic or 1.5

Some times the winxp evet logger logs this:
The driver ati2dvag for the display device \Device\Video0 got stuck in an infinite loop. This usually indicates a problem with the device itself or with the device driver programming the hardware incorrectly. Please check with your hardware device vendor for any driver updates.

this is logged when i am able to exit an opegl app that froze.

the post is a bit long because ive been working on this for a month. i bought my first Ati produst after seeing all the tests, but, ok i dont mind troubleshooting, but this is crazy… if you need additional info on my sistem, just ask!

thank you in advance for any (any!) information!

nejc

I am not sure if its true in your case but at least its worth a go.

Most of the “random reboot” or “driver got stuck” things happen when the powersupply cant deliver enought juice for peak situations.