Half-Life OpenGL problems

Hi. I’ve been trying to get OpenGL working with HL, because Software looks a bit crap and Direct3D causes problems with stuttering and when resuming play. However, if I select OpenGL mode I get the message “The selected OpenGL mode is not supported by your graphics card” whatever resolution I try it at. My OpenGL settings are on default, but I can’t get it working.

My system:
P4 2.5ghz
512mb RAM
AC97 On-Board Sound (latest drivers)
Radeon 7500 (latest drivers)
WinXP Home Edition

Any ideas?

I get the same problem with Half-life ever since I upgraded to windows XP and I have a Geforce 4 mx 440. Man… I hope I can fix this.

Same problem here.

Me too. I can’t get the piece of shiznet to work . i wonder if its the card or the HL software… i have a ge2 mx400. Gl to you guys i hope someone saves me soon!

I have been playing on windows XP since it was released, i never had a problem with it, but since i bought a GF4 TI4200 i keep getting that damned message your selected opengl mode is not supported by your videocart.

I have never had that when i was using my old GF2 card

annyone knows how to solve this?

i’m having the same problems too. i have a Geforce4 mx420 pci and ever since i switched motherboards, any game based on open gl freezes unexpectedly in the middle of game play. hopefully someone has a solution.

Well guys your problems are from the fact that XP installs drivers automatically for you. What you need to do is go to your video card manufacturer’s site and download drivers. This should allow you to play in OpenGL. XP’s default driver only supports DirectX because it is a Microsoft product.

i have a pentium III running windows xp and just threw in hercules 3d prophet geforce 2 mx card (agp 2x). i’ve installed nvidia’s latest reference drivers but still the piece of **** wont work. “the selected opengl mode” blah is starting to piss me off. does anyone know where i can buy a chainsaw?

Necroscope
- You obviously DONT know all there is to know, coz FERFUXXAKE i run win98 (personal thing LOL) - and i got same probs… Athlon 800 512ram geforce2-mx400 32mb… Tells me when i play CS that it dont run OpenGL
All i can suggest is people, steer away from funky drivers & go with the chips manufacturers drivers…

Hi all, i registered on here just to help sort out this opengl bs.

Ive had the problem now for around 3 weeks, and im very annoyed, since im quite a serious gamer, and my clan has several LANs coming up that i need to practice for.

I think there are like 5000 ppl here who are getting either the “opengl mode not supported” msg in counterstrike, or couldnt open opengl subsystem in Q3… basically all of opengl is ****ed.

Well, im on win2000, with a v good system, GF4 ti4200 card. Ive tried every driver under the sun and its not drivers (unless ur retarded enough to still be using the defaults). On win2000 / XP that win.ini fix doesnt work, forget it. Also i only have the 676kb version of opengl32.dll, so i have nothing to replace it with.

I have had the problem originally with DirectX 8.1, after i formatted i put DX9 on, and it didnt help.

I have formatted and reinstalled win2k onto a clean drive, to no avail…

i really doubt its a hardware issue, since so many ppl have had this pretty hit them randomly. I know for a fact i can sometimes go for a day with no errors, and then the next day not be able to doing anything with opengl.

A far fetched idea is that its some kind of virus, altho ive run everything on my system and its clean as a whistle.

Someone mentioned using a refreshrate fix, it doesnt matter which one u use, they are all the same. The point is detonator drivers sometimes go crazy when they are run at high frequencies, like above 85Hz. I dont believe this is the problem since ive been playing counterstrike for a long time on 100Hz in 640x480 resolution.

A lot of guys mentioned that 3rd party GLDirect software, well i downloaded it and tried it, and i didnt like it. All my fonts were screwed, and it isnt really a solution, its just going round the problem.

One strange thing ive noticed is that opengl usually temporarily works after i modify a graphics-related program in some way. For instance if i reinstall DivX, or powerstrip, or reinstall my monitor drivers, i can get opengl to run until i next reboot. But of course thats no solution…

So im kinda out of ideas, nothing ive read here (and ive gone thru nearly all the posts) has helped in the slightest, but as soon as i fix it, which i will, ill share the news.

THERES ALWAYS HOPE

I just put my voodoo3 back in, until this mess gets sorted out.

But I feel all your guyses pain…

im able to play on OpenGL, but there is one MINOR defect that bugs the HELL out of me

i have an ATI Radeon 8500LE

ALL the weapon models appear fatter/distorted, and it bugs me because i worry about why it appears that way, but on direct 3d it appears fine but also laggier, does anybody know what it could be that is changing my weapon models? i have tried updating drivers already… thx

All of you still having the ‘OpenGl mode not supported’ error should read the other posts before posting complaints. Necroscope was right about the drivers. F**king Micro$oft didnt include OpenGL in their default drivers, just to make people use their own DirectX. There just isnt any OpenGL in the drivers, so its no surprise it doesnt work. Install the drivers you got with the videocard on CD, and never bother with drivers again. The drivers from your CD DO support OpenGL, and you will find that they are a lot better than newer stuff, cuz i found all the newer (nvidia) drivers crash, lag or otherwise screw things up…

I dont think this is just XP, its just coincidence you put XP on and got the trouble. People using other Windows versions might have this too, although i cant know for sure, because windows 9x sux and i dont never ever want to use any of them again. It just affect people using M$'s drivers.

If you install an old version of the Nvidia Detonator driver (around version 30 or so), it’ll all work OK again. I got one from the Video driver section on www.msi.com.tw

n1ppl3

Originally posted by Mephy:
[b]All of you still having the ‘OpenGl mode not supported’ error should read the other posts before posting complaints. Necroscope was right about the drivers. F**king Micro$oft didnt include OpenGL in their default drivers, just to make people use their own DirectX. There just isnt any OpenGL in the drivers, so its no surprise it doesnt work. Install the drivers you got with the videocard on CD, and never bother with drivers again. The drivers from your CD DO support OpenGL, and you will find that they are a lot better than newer stuff, cuz i found all the newer (nvidia) drivers crash, lag or otherwise screw things up…

I dont think this is just XP, its just coincidence you put XP on and got the trouble. People using other Windows versions might have this too, although i cant know for sure, because windows 9x sux and i dont never ever want to use any of them again. It just affect people using M$'s drivers.[/b]

****n MICROSoFT ,n BILL GATES ,, Ive got this same problem and i have to like boot every 15min when i change the server.

Originally posted by nzg:
> Hi all, …help sort out this opengl bs.

nzg, thanks bunches for your report on your problems. At least we are not alone.

> …like 5000 ppl here who are getting … “opengl mode not supported”… or couldnt open opengl subsystem… basically all of opengl is ****ed.

All of OpenGL here, at least under Win2000 (server edition, but that should not make a difference in this context). Under Win98SE, OpenGL works fine, so it’s not a hard hardware issue.

>… Ive tried every driver under the sun and its not drivers

Same here, two different cards, all drivers from the CDs (30.82(?) & 40.72) and 29.42 to 42.30 from the net (gonna try 23.11 the next days).

> On win2000 / XP that win.ini fix doesnt work, forget it.

Yup.

> Also i only have the 676kb version of opengl32.dll, so i have nothing to replace it with.

What other versions are there?

> I have formatted and reinstalled win2k onto a clean drive, to no avail…

Same for me.

> I know for a fact i can sometimes go for a day with no errors, and then the next day not be able to doing anything with opengl.

Interesting. It never worked for me (but I always rebooted immediately after driver installation… :-).

>A far fetched idea is that its some kind of virus, altho ive run everything on my system and its clean as a whistle.

Don’t think so. The NoOpenGLonWinNT conspiracy (;-)?

> Someone mentioned using a refreshrate fix, it doesnt matter which one u use, they are all the same.

No results here, too. Anyway, it doesn’t work at 60Hz, too.

> A lot of guys mentioned that 3rd party GLDirect software, well i downloaded it and tried it, and i didnt like it. All my fonts were screwed, and it isnt really a solution, its just going round the problem.

Going to try this, but I don’t expect much.

> One strange thing ive noticed is that opengl usually temporarily works after i modify a graphics-related program in some way. For instance if i reinstall DivX, or powerstrip, or reinstall my monitor drivers, i can get opengl to run until i next reboot. But of course thats no solution…

Highly interesting. Reinstalling monitor drivers isn’t that much work, so that’d be a workaround.

> So im kinda out of ideas, nothing ive read here (and ive gone thru nearly all the posts) has helped in the slightest, but as soon as i fix it, which i will, ill share the news.

Same again.

Darn, we must narrow the problem. The applications fail at some point. Where is that point and why do they fail? Quake3 Demo prints a flurry of messages to its console when starting, before the screen goes grey and, after a few seconds, the program terminates. How can I save or just read these messages?

There is one game demo, FAKK2 namely, that gave me at least error messages (and didn’t simply terminate, as all other apps did). Said something about “no valid mode found”, which suggests that a refresh rate fix might help – which it doesn’t. I’ll come back to post the exact message here.

> THERES ALWAYS HOPE

Right.

I found for ONE DAY, that refresh rate change fixed all my problems.

I’ve noticed the amount of people with an nvidea card having this problem. I’m using an ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon. My problem is an interesting one. I find that with the default microsoft installed drivers, I have no OpenGL support, but can play DirectX games with no trouble. Funny thing though, when I install new drivers, I have OpenGL support, but if I play in any other resolution than my desktop, my monitor makes a loud whistling sound, and DirectX games completely freeze my machine minutes into the game!

Now I noticed someone mentioned using older drivers, and I’m starting to go down the line of older drivers at ATI’s site. Anyone with an ATI card try this? I’d like some ideas as to which drivers have the best results.

filo, its good to see someone methodical on this site.

looks like we are in a similar predicament, if u wanna help me, or seek help, contact me.

im on msn messenger as “cyrusbeaumont@hotmail.com

also on irc.quakenet.org in #esports.edge

if u want some more updated information, i can generally get my opengl working ONCE when i re-run a refreshrate program. Im starting to think it is refreshrate related, or perhaps related to my monitor.

I ordered a new PSU last night to replace my old crappy 300W one, since its not sufficient for my nForce2 mobo, pc2700 ram, athlon 2000+ and gf4 ti4200. (new PSU is enermax 431W btw)

One of my friends suggested it could be related to a lack of power, but its a longshot.

Anyways, keep posting, cos its really tedious reading about other ppl not even installing drivers for their agp cards, and ppl trying to use opengl with no graphics hardware…

oh i forgot, about the opengl32.dll…

some people have been saying that there are other versions of it, probably older versions, that are different sizes.

the correst size for win2k is 676kb, i had one that was 300 and something, so i deleted it and replaced it, but it didnt do anything.

so i eliminated that option. hope this helps.

WHAT I DID WAS DOWNLOAD OPENGL95.EXE FROM OPENGL.ORG, EXTRACTED THE FILES. SINCE ITS NOT MADE TO RUN ON NT I REPLACED ONLY THE OPENGL32.DLL FILE FOR THE UPDATE NT VESION. BELIEVE IT OR NOT IT WORKED FOR ME. I PLACED A COPY OF THE FILES IN THE MAIN FOLDERS OF HALFLIFE. I HAVE A ATHLON +XP2000, GFORCE MX 2 400 64MB, AC’97 AUDIO & 512MB RAM. HOPE THIS HELPS SOMEONE, I ALSO THINK THE PROBLEM HAS TO DO WITH REFRESH RATES WIN WINDOWS. READ ABOUT IT HERE http://www.xp-refresh.net , HELPED ME.