Windows XP OpenGL annoying niggle...

i’m running this system:

amd athlon xp 2000+
512mb ddr ram
geforce 3 ti200
windows xp professional

whenever i run opengl games, it re-enables mouse pointer precision in the mouse properties…i find this really annoying…

can anyone please help?

I have the game Neverwinter Nights, and It wont run right because it takes OpenGL? How do you even run your games? I just get a black scree, and I have all of the recent drivers. I tried downloading GL setup but, it wont work on XP? How do you do it?

necromancer,
have you installed security hotfix q328310? it was released around 12/11/02 to fix a buffer overflow vulnerability in wm_timer. it is not a necessary patch if others can not log on to your machine (according to the release notes). there were some graphics issues with certain combinations of graphics cards and drivers. i saw a problem in asherons call dm - with windows xp pro and ati radeon 8500. the 3d display area would stay black. uninstalling the patch cleared the problem for me. if the problem you’ve described is related to any of the above - try updating drivers and/or uninstalling the patch. good luck…

so does nobody know how to stop this niggle or wot?

yea goddamn it happens to my mouse too

I have exactly same components as the first writer athlon 2000+, 512ddr, xp pro, ti200
my return to castle wolfenstein just quits and sais could not load OpenGL subsystem.
I have tried to reinstall drivers but nothing helps me

Hi, I have been having problems with opengl games in windows xp and the only solution after many tries has been to download Nvidia driver 41.07 from http://www.msi.com.tw. This got MDK2 to work again and it got Neverwinter Nights to run. In NN, however, the config utility says it can’t find an opengl driver. Anyway I hope this helps people who have had no luck with anything else.
Note on installing driver for those who need detailed instructions:

This driver is unlike the regular nvidia drivers which have their own install program.

The way I installed it was to:
First run the 4107xp.exe and specify a folder to extract to (there are a lot of files so it would be good to extract it to a new folder)

1. uninstall the current nvidia drivers on your system (and then reboot as it will ask you to)
  2. When winxp boots up it installs it’s own geforce4 4400 driver
  3. Go to controlpanel->system
  4. click on the hardware tab
  5. click on the device manager button
  6. double click on “display-adaptors”
  7. right click on the driver that shows up
  8. choose “update driver”
  9. choose “install from a specific location” then hit next
  10. choose “don’t search…” hit next
  11. click on have disk
  12. browse to where you extracted your driver
  13. double click on the .inf file that shows up

hopefully your new driver installed smoothly and your computer now works like mine did.

I heard this suggestion about this msi driver from another forum and the fact that it uses “update driver” to install instead of using nvidia’s install program may have something to do with why it works. I had attempted to fix the problems by uninstalling and reinstallg nvidia’s drivers but what would happen was microsoft’s geforce4 driver would get installed and then i had to install the nvidia driver over that. So maybe the fact that the driver is getting installed over microsofts instead of over a clean slate prevents the problem from being fixed.

-Matt

I also have a problem with Neverwinter… it all runs very slowly. I don’t know if it is XP, ATI’s drivers, or the game itself. I can run half-life and its mods at 1024*800 at 32bit color and there are no problems. I cannot run NWN at the lowest possible resolution and texture pack without horrendous graphics lag (I had a similar problem with Warcraft III, and I have no idea how I fixed that…).

—My System—
2Ghz Intel Celeron
64MB Radeon 7500
512mb DDR Ram
Windows XP Pro

I recently “upgraded” (I use that term VERY loosely) to Windows XP from 2000 Professional. Under 2000, on my A30 Thinkpad 933 Mhz 256MB RAM, NWN blazed. Now, I’m getting that stupid message about the game being incompatiple with my video settings. I tried to configure it, and it skipped the OpenGL test. Where can I find the OpenGL driver for Windows XP? Contact me at mikkon463@isp2k.com.

i got a solution to all yo probs that need gl. get serious sam, and it has gl on it, so just install it, and all the games shall work.

Originally posted by gir:
[b]I also have a problem with Neverwinter… it all runs very slowly. I don’t know if it is XP, ATI’s drivers, or the game itself. I can run half-life and its mods at 1024*800 at 32bit color and there are no problems. I cannot run NWN at the lowest possible resolution and texture pack without horrendous graphics lag (I had a similar problem with Warcraft III, and I have no idea how I fixed that…).

—My System—
2Ghz Intel Celeron
64MB Radeon 7500
512mb DDR Ram
Windows XP Pro[/b]