OpenGL support for NeoMagic on Sony Vaio F709 laptop

I already have enquiry outstanding with Sony. Any suggestions for where to get OpenGL for a Sony Vaio laptop with the NeoMagic graphics hardware. OS is W98SE.

NeoMagic do not provide drivers except to OEM (Sony) & default Sony response is that OpenGL is not available.

Anyone know different?
TIA - David

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I WANT TO KNOW!!!
Please help with this problem.
i’d really like to play some of the new games i have bought but yeah i can’t find a verios of opengl for neomagic

Sony tech support have replied that their product does not support OpenGL. If you want them to change then please go to the support unit at Sony & ask them to get in touch with NeoMagic for OpenGL libraries.

Originally posted by fone:
THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I WANT TO KNOW!!!
Please help with this problem.
i’d really like to play some of the new games i have bought but yeah i can’t find a verios of opengl for neomagic

FYI attached is Sony reply & contact url for anyone else who would like to see an OpenGL library that works on their product.

Regards,
David

Dear VAIO customer,
Thank you for your email.
The graphics card is not OpenGL compatible, therefore, we cannot assit you.
We are very sorry for the inconvenience.

Best regards,

SONY VAIO LINK SUPPORT TEAM
SUPPORT:http://www.vaio-link.sony-europe.com/

Originally posted by DPenney:
[b]I already have enquiry outstanding with Sony. Any suggestions for where to get OpenGL for a Sony Vaio laptop with the NeoMagic graphics hardware. OS is W98SE.

NeoMagic do not provide drivers except to OEM (Sony) & default Sony response is that OpenGL is not available.

Anyone know different?
TIA - David[/b]

god that is so much bs.
why did they put such a piece of **** card in whats supose to be a high quaility laptop?
i paid 3k for this laptop!
and no i have to go get a new card! ahhh…
errr screw it i’m just buying a new desktop…
but that still pisses me off

Well you are not in luck. Most graphics boards are specially made for each laptop. This also often means the manufacturer’s generic drivers need to be modified.

It also means the board is unlikely to be swappable. Indeed the message for gamers is to stick with the most common, high spec desktop since laptops are not supportable. I oped that Microsoft had started to make the situation better with direct driver suport through standard aps but not so. I find it amazing that the game manufacturers are using graphics libraries that are so poorly supported outside of the professional computing industry.

However it looks like there is noone to help us…

Originally posted by fone:
god that is so much bs.
why did they put such a piece of **** card in whats supose to be a high quaility laptop?
i paid 3k for this laptop!
and no i have to go get a new card! ahhh…
errr screw it i’m just buying a new desktop…
but that still pisses me off