Computer Restarts By Itself

System Stats:

Pentium III 500 MHz, 96MB RAM, 17 Gig HD, DVD-ROM & seperate CDRW Drive, Win98se.

Problem: Whenever I play counterstrike, quake 3 or any computer game, my computer restarts. I can’t even get into the game, they all restart. For example counterstrike, I’ll double click on a server, then my screen will turn black, and restart! Can someone please help me?

This is weird, I have a 500 mhz PIII, 128 megs ram, an ATI Rage 128 Xpert 2000 3D accelerator – 32 megs, 20 gig hard drive (7 gigs left). I also play Counter-Strike and other Half-Life mods. Everything used to run perfect in OpenGL mode… until last night. I can’t think of anything I did to make it stop working, it just sort of stopped! I spent all this morning downloading new drivers, deinstalling the old ones, and installing the new ones, and even tried getting beta ATI drivers. Nothing works. I have similar results when I try to run the game in OpenGL mode – sometimes, the computer just resets when I try to load a level, and other times, it just hangs at the console for about 5 minutes and when I finally get into the the actual game, the frames per second is at around 1 frame per 15 seconds. Like I said, everything worked fine yesterday (and all last year for that matter), but it just stopped working.
To see whether or not it was the game or everything that uses OpenGL, I tried some small OpenGL games I have like “Disasteroids 3D,” and a 3D *.mdl viewer. The frame rate is incredibly bad. I’ve tried everything, but nothing seems to work. Please help me!

Hey, guys, I wonder, but did you ever try to reinstall windows?

lol, well that might fix it but I’d rather not go and do that, lol. It only started happening to me yesterday so I’d rather wait a little bit and try other things first, but thanks for the idea.

Thanks, yeah, I tryed using opengl, d3d, and the software features in counterstrike, none of them work, my computer still restarts. Someone at work suggested that I upgrade my system BIOS. Well…thanks again, and if I ever get back onto counterstrike, what is your s/n matt. Mine is [MP5]Eater of Babies. Thanks again!

Believe it or not, the name I use is “Matt Cal - Open-Zelda.com[TG]” I play at The-Group ([TG]) CS server at 63.119.211.15:27015
I tried playing with software rendering this morning but it’s just no good in comparison, so I’m in the same boat as you. Wish you luck!

Perhaps your GFX card is on its last legs.

Originally posted by Quantum:
[b]Perhaps your GFX card is on its last legs.

[/b]

Dang, how did you manage to ressurect a thread from almost a year ago?