OpenGL Crashing.

I am getting really rather annoyed now. I am a great fan of Counter-Strike, but I can’t play it because Half-Life keeps locking up. I believe this to be an OpenGL problem, as Quake III does the same.

I get a complete lock-up, the game, mouse, keyboard, windows, the lot. The only way to fix it, is to reboot. The crashes appear to be completely random, when HL locks I get the last sound looping, consistent with a complete crash. If I hit Ctrl + Alt + Del I sometimes get a BSOD, others I don’t get anything and I have to resort to the reset button.

I have the latest HL patches etc, I run on Windows 98 SE, with DirectX 7.0a. I also
have the 6.31 drivers for my GeForce. And the latest 4 in 1 Via drivers.

Spec:

1GHz AMD Thunderbird
Creative GeForce 2 GTS
Abit KT7 Motherboard

I am completely stumped to the problem. I have tried disabling everything in my BIOS that I don’t NEED to boot. Even tried under clocking my CPU to 500 MHz. I have formatted, and reinstalled, still no luck.

I don’t seem to be the only person with this problem, but nobody has offered a
solution that has helped me. ANY information will be great.

Cheers,

Alastair Grant.

I have the exact same problem. I have a PIII 800 mhz, 128 mb RAM, VisionTek Geforce2 GTS, I’ve tried all the Nvidia reference drivers, directx 7.0a, disabling other components, etc. I can’t play any openGL app without it crashing within seconds and in CS, if I get it to load it loops the last sound and freezes as well. In D3D mode I get flicker. If you figure anything out PLEASE e-mail me: dsbailey@ucsd.edu

Originally posted by Alastair Grant:
[b]I am getting really rather annoyed now. I am a great fan of Counter-Strike, but I can’t play it because Half-Life keeps locking up. I believe this to be an OpenGL problem, as Quake III does the same.

I get a complete lock-up, the game, mouse, keyboard, windows, the lot. The only way to fix it, is to reboot. The crashes appear to be completely random, when HL locks I get the last sound looping, consistent with a complete crash. If I hit Ctrl + Alt + Del I sometimes get a BSOD, others I don’t get anything and I have to resort to the reset button.

I have the latest HL patches etc, I run on Windows 98 SE, with DirectX 7.0a. I also
have the 6.31 drivers for my GeForce. And the latest 4 in 1 Via drivers.

Spec:

1GHz AMD Thunderbird
Creative GeForce 2 GTS
Abit KT7 Motherboard

I am completely stumped to the problem. I have tried disabling everything in my BIOS that I don’t NEED to boot. Even tried under clocking my CPU to 500 MHz. I have formatted, and reinstalled, still no luck.

I don’t seem to be the only person with this problem, but nobody has offered a
solution that has helped me. ANY information will be great.

Cheers,

Alastair Grant.[/b]

I finally fixed it!!! Just install your 4 in 1s in normal rather than turbo mode!! Woo hoo!

There doesn’t seem to be a “normal” option, there is only Standard, Turbo, and Uninstall. Is it Standard you selected, or do you have a different version of the 4 in 1’s? I am using 4.25a IIRC.

I put it into Standard, but that doesn’t seem to help. (

I have flashed my BIOS, and it seems to work now. So, try that people, get the latest BIOS update.

I have the EXACT same problem… Its driving me nuts!

I have the same exact problem, and very similar setup:
750 Tbird
Abit KT7-RAID
PLEASE SOMEONE HELP!
-SethDude-

I don’t know if I have fixed, my system is generally more unstable now, and Half-Life
does crash, but I get a good few hours of playing in before anything screws up.

I have removed the Via 4 in 1 AGP drivers totally. To do this run the 4 in 1 setup, and when you get to the AGP section, select Unistall VXD.

Hope this helps you too.

Grrrr. This is soo annoying and stressfull. Here are my specs as follows: ASUS P3V4X Mobo, 256 PC100 SDRAM, Hercules 3D Prophet II GTS 32MB, & a Trinitron P990 19" monitor. I play a lot of mods of Half-life and can relate to this problem about crashing and freezing up on you. I’ve had problems like this in the past including Q3A. BTW, I use WinME, and seems to me that Windows just plain ol’ doesn’t like OpenGL in general. I have had HL and Q3A working fine with WinME before with no problems whatsoever. I had to revamp my comp. because of HD problems. Well, to tell you guys the truth I’ve had it up to here with this ****, excuse the language. I tried all those problems that you guys posted and none of them seem to work. I’ll keep ya guys posted if I find an answer to all this mayhem. In the meantime, please take the time to e-mail me at CyberFlux14@hotmail.com if you have any comments or suggestions. Out…

I have yet to try WinME, but I still get the crashing under Windows2000, so I am inclind to believe the extra support is built into these versions. With Win98 I just uninstalled the AGP driver.

Thought this leads me to believe it’s the fault of VIA. Alas, their next version of drivers (4.25a) aren’t going to fix it, as I have been using a leaked copy of this, and it doesn’t help.

I really don’t know what the problem is. I do believe that Win2K and WinME have the same problems with Half-life. As for the VIA 4 in 1 drivers, I tried un-installing it and and when I rebooted WinME recognized the VIA drivers. That was really wierd and I don’t know what caused it. The only thing I can think of is conflicts with openGL and Windows in general. I’ll keep you posted if I find anything to solve this problem. Please E-Mail me at CyberFlux14@hotmail.com

I can also suggest you guys set the AGP APERTURE SIZE to 32 or even 16 MB in your bios. This can solve freeze issues with nvidia cards.

I have exactly same problem - unstable, locking up UT and Quake III.
I have Hecules Prophet II MX on Athlon MSI K7 Pro motherboard.
I’ve got latest AGP drivers and bios flash.
The VIA 4 in 1 won’t work cos the chipset is AMD751 and AMD756.
I orginally tried with Win2K and gave up. Then switched to WinME, again no joy.
Now on Win98SE and still problems.
Tried original Detonator 2 drivers that come with gfx card and all other Detonators from 6.18 to 6.31. (full uninstalled between each)
I’ve even reformated drive and started again.
Nup!
Please can some magic fairy grant my machine the power of 3D graphics.
Until such time I’m stuck with ‘Software Render’ or crashing on game startup.
W1zz

Well, I’m somewhat relieved as to finding a way out with this problem. I went through just the AGP VXD driver installation once more and set the mode to standard rather then turbo. Yipee it works! It doesn’t freeze. I would prefer to use the turbo though and of course you still have that potential of it freezing so its not really a solution but temporary. Once again, I did this with WinME, not sure about other versions of Win. As for the apateur size, I really don’t wanna mess with that because of previous experiences. I tried enabling [FAST WRITE], AGP size, blah blah… but that just made it worse for me. I get a garbled display when WinME boots up and screws up the registry for WinME Ehk!! Anyways, I contacted ASUS about their drivers, but I don’t think it has to do with the mobos. I will try contacting Nvidia; although, I don’t think thats the cause of the problem either.

So this is what I got so far. Hope that temporary solution works for ya guys. In the meantime keep me posted as well as I.

My E-mail is CyberFlux14@hotmail.com

I’ve sort of got mine to stop crashing buy switching the ‘Hardware Acceleration’ setting in to ‘Basic’ in the Performance section of Display. My only problem now is that I installed MSI Drivers for thier Geforce II MX graphic card and I’ve can’t get the drivers out now to try standard Hercules ones. (Todays task).
That and the fact that I know my card isn’t running at full speed. But at least the freezing and crashing has stopped.

I gots the same prob, especially under CounterStrike/HL. Switching to VIA standard did nothing, neither does messing around in my Mobo (P3VX) BIOS. All my drivers are up to date.
The problem only surfaced 3 mo. after I started using the card, so maybe my card is bad? Hercules Prophet SDR.
Fix anyone?

I fixed it!
Don’t mess with the VIA turbo or whatever. Just make sure that your Card is not sharing an IRQ with any other card or major thing. You’ll need to rearrange your cards in the slots or mess with your BIOS for this. YAY! I can blow people’s heads of in CS again!
Bye all

My GFX card isn’t sharing any IRQ’s. And I personally can’t get Half-Life to work without TOTALLY removing the AGP driver. Even on “standard mode” it still locks up.

To add to my problems Half-Life will now not even start a game, but produce a BSOD. The only way to get rid of this seems to be install the AGP drivers, so I get back to square one.

Although, I think the latter problem also happens with DirectX, because when I run the DirectX Diagnostic 3D thingy, it crashes as well, with a BSOD.

This is getting more and more fustraiting. I brought the most expensive gear I could lay my hands on for the pure reason I thought it would work without trouble. Obviously not.

Hello!
Try this for Q3:install the via 4 in 1 drivers but when the setup asks what do you want to do about VXD driver, check “unistall via VXD driver”.
It works for all OpenGL games as Q3 or FAKK 2
Bye

That’s what I tried, and it worked, but I began to get the BSOD.

I am pleased to announce that I have fixed it though (again). The problem just kept coming back worse and worse until my computer was flooded with BSOD’s. It fell over and lost it’s Registry and SYSTEM.INI.

Windows recovered something from somewhere, and there was the minor issue of having to reinstall some things that had lost it’s settings.

One problem I did come over was VIAGART.VXD, the old registry was pointing towards this file. Well, I found a very interesting looking Turbo string which was set to 1. Which is odd, because I turned it off.

Silly little me deleted the registry file when everything settled down. I think it’s located at:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\VIAGART]

People may want to have a look

WARNING: If you screw your registry, you screw Windows. Backup USER.DAT and SYSTEM.DAT before changing anything, and work out how you are going to put the backup’s in place when Windows won’t start.