solution for GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL subsystem error

I was having this problem and noticed a marked lack of support, so when I figured out how to fix it I thought I should post it.

The first solution I found is to turn off second monitor support in windows 98 se. This seems to conflict with any quake 3 engine based games. This worked and finally let me play Alice, but having to setup my second monitor each time I played was a pain in the ass. I emailed 3dfx tech support and found that going to your c:\windows\system directory and making a copy of 3dfxOGL.dll and renaming it to 3dfxVGL.dll solves the problem so you can play quake 3/alice/other q3 based games without disabling the extra monitor.

I found this to be very helpful I was experiencing the exact same error w/ AM’s Alice
I did figure out that i needed to disable my second monitor for my Matrox MG400/MAX for this program to work. I wish I came here first!

Originally posted by ^^aDc0vv:
[b]I was having this problem and noticed a marked lack of support, so when I figured out how to fix it I thought I should post it.

The first solution I found is to turn off second monitor support in windows 98 se. This seems to conflict with any quake 3 engine based games. This worked and finally let me play Alice, but having to setup my second monitor each time I played was a pain in the ass. I emailed 3dfx tech support and found that going to your c:\windows\system directory and making a copy of 3dfxOGL.dll and renaming it to 3dfxVGL.dll solves the problem so you can play quake 3/alice/other q3 based games without disabling the extra monitor.[/b]

Hey i also have the same problem with Quake 3. I did as you suggested, and now instead of getting the could not load OpenGL subsystem message, a little box pops up in the middle of the screen saying Error, with an OK button. I dont know what else to do. I have looked everywhere for answers, and yours looked promising, but again no success.

Could you provide some more details about your system like which 3d card, which windows version and so on?