OpenGL Not on my Card

I purchased a Nvidia GeForce 6200 256m card to upgrade my computer. It has a AMD Athlon Processor 1.33Ghz, 1Gig of Ram, running on Windows 2000 professional. I have been having issues with games quiting when I try and start them. I have downloaded the latest drivers for my graphics card, display and I also have the latest DirectX9. Recently I tried playing Half-Life and it says my card does not support open GL. Is that correct?

Thanks,

Louie

No, it supports OpenGL quite well.
If Half Life is complaining about wanting a specific version number of OpenGL, that would be an application bug not recognizing the new OpenGL 2.0 version. Many OpenGL applications were not coded with major numbers greater than 1 in the OpenGL version.
Chronicles of Riddick has that bug as well.
Check on the game publisher’s web site if there is a patch to the application to fix this.

Okay if OpenGL is not the issue then what is causing all my other games to crash on start up. Like Never Winter Nights it says that nwmain.exe has generated errors and will be closed by windows. Most of my games now come up with that. Any ideas?

Maybe you have not installed your graphics card’s driver.

I’ve bought exactly the same card. Whilst agmes such as GTA, Doom3 and the Sims 2 work fine, the free version of Chronicles of Riddick; escape from butcher bay I obtained with my card doesn’t work.

I downloaded and installed the patch, still to no avail, and tried installed the latest drivers from nvidia, with, again, no luck.

It basically says opengl 1.3 or higher is required, so as you say, its obviously an error with the game.

Anyone cracked this problem?

Originally posted by Louie:
Okay if OpenGL is not the issue then what is causing all my other games to crash on start up. Like Never Winter Nights it says that nwmain.exe has generated errors and will be closed by windows. Most of my games now come up with that. Any ideas?
Possibilities are that the driver installation didn’t went well and you have different file versions conflicting. A driver cleanup program can help here.

Have you installed SP4 for your Win 2k?
Have you installed chipset drivers?

I have an nVidia Vanta/ Vanta LT integrated 16MB (i know, its an HP pavillion and we got it for free, so there is nothing i can do) graphics card. i went to the nvidia site, i went to glsetup.com, and i went to some other help sites, but couldnt find anything. i tried to load 2 different drivers (at different times), and both failed. i got the “…could find no compatible hardware and will not shut down…” message from both. is there any way for me to obtain the working driver? I am trying to play quake 3, by the way. will it work if i just download a demo and go into the files and use their openGL and then update it? or does my card just suck beyond all help?