;DVA=0

Ok first of all I looked in the win.ini file and couldn’t find any DVA word or anything, so either it is missing or you have to add it.

If you have to add it where are you meant to add it, and if it is missing where should I add it?

I didn’t find it either,
I think that you have to have
special graphics card for that.

This works if, and only if, the line has been added by an older game. DVA=0 means that Windows will not allow Direct Video Access…which stops OpenGL before it gets started. If you cannot find DVA=0 in your WIN.INI, it means there is something else missing or mis-configured.

Is there a file in C:\Windows\System called opengl32.dll and does it come from Microsoft? If that file is missing, OpenGL is not going to get on its feet, either.

Ok where does the line go then?

If you are trying to run OpenGL apps, the line “DVA=0” shouldn’t be anywhere on your system. The line is placed in the WIN.INI file by apps to disable Direct Video Access - the sort of access OpenGL requires.

If you cannot find DVA=0 in your WIN.INI file, you are one step closer to getting OpenGL apps to work.

If you cannot find DVA=0 on your system and OpenGL apps still do not work, it’s time to look for the Microsoft version of Opengl32.dll in your Windows/System directory and then to make sure you are running the proper drivers for your video card.

Thanks on the “DVA=0” tip. Trying to get Quake III to run was an hour (or more) of frustration. My Dell computer came with a 32M Diamond Viper V770D Ultra NVIDIA card, and in my digging, it seems this is a “one-off” card made specifically for Dell. I feared that I would be in “abandoned product hell”

I finally did what I should have done much earlier: checked to see who else had had this problem. Commenting out the DVA=0 line in win.ini took about 10 seconds and now we’re fragging away.

Thanks!

Thanks for the ;DVA=0 tip, now all my GL apps seem to working alright

Wait wait wait!! Im Having Opengl Problems too! I Cant get any opengl to work one bit! How exactly did you guys fix ur opengl problems?? Tell me please!!

Edit: I found that Opengl32.dll file.

[This message has been edited by Dr.Death (edited 12-26-2000).]

Everyone with this DVA problem be aware of it can happen again. You dont have to install a new program it can occur whenever.
(really weird). What happen is that you get a new DVA line in win.ini without semicolon but the old line with semicolon is also there. So you have to search all DVA lines to edit the bad one.

Originally posted by Dr.Death:
[b]Wait wait wait!! Im Having Opengl Problems too! I Cant get any opengl to work one bit! How exactly did you guys fix ur opengl problems?? Tell me please!!

Edit: I found that Opengl32.dll file.

[This message has been edited by Dr.Death (edited 12-26-2000).][/b]

So what’s the end of the story? <g>

You found Opengl32.dll (from Microsoft) in your C:\Windows\System directory.

Do you have the latest drivers for your video card? Is your video card capable of running OpenGL? Have you gotten it to work?

Oops i forgot to say, I’m on a geforce2 GTS from Leadtek and i got it on christmass. Yes im on the latest drivers. Anyways forget it. im useing tech support for the problem.