Voodoo 3 3DFX and OpenGL

First of, specs:

AMD XP 2600+
MSI K7 motherboard(400FSB)(8x AGP)
256 megs ram (in slot one of a dual channel)
Voodoo 3 2000 16meg PCI(OLD)
W2K

I know I should be able to play quake 3, but as far as halo, gta3 vice city, and doom 3; I’m sure I’ll have to upgrade. :frowning:

But anyway (have been multitasking and lost a few browsers, as well as a train of thought) I need opengl for W2K, and the q3 cd is too old for that. I’m still looking, but I value anyones input (other than “new video card” and “more ram” :stuck_out_tongue: )

Also any Info about good voodoo 3 drivers whould be big help, since I cant contact a manufacturer that is no longer in bussines :frowning: .

qwerty77>> I’ve read many of your replys and I look forward to your input about my system :cool: :stuck_out_tongue:

Well I had very good results with an much older 3dfx 1 with pentium 133 under linux 5 years ago. Not kidding.

EDIT : good results with Opengl in general and Quake 3 arena in particular.

That IS good to hear. :smiley:

The hard part seems to be getting the card to work with the games, and the games to work for W2K. :eek:

VooDoofiles.com has gotten a new server. I’m hoping I will finally be ale to download some of the files I need from them.

Originally posted by phreaq:
qwerty77>> I’ve read many of your replys and I look forward to your input about my system :cool: :stuck_out_tongue:
Its a nice rig, except the Voodoo of course :stuck_out_tongue:

With a decent 3d card you should be able to play HALO, DOOM3 and so on, just fine. I know, I know that’s not what you wanted to hear.

Looks like you already know about www.voodoofiles.com, so there is no point telling you again.

If memory serves the “best” OpenGL drivers for the voodoo series where the WickedGL ones. The Voodoofiles link to them is broken because the site www.wicked3d.com is no longer online, but if you read the comments people made, you will find that someone posted a alternative download link which seems to work.

Go to:

http://www.falconfly.de/tools.htm

and then scroll down to the WickedGL section.

I cant guarantee that this will work but its worth a shot.

I just found out that the guys over at www.omegadrivers.net also happen to have Voodoo3 W2K drivers and an OpenGL fix of some sort…

Check it out.

Yes I do think it’s well over due for a video upgrade.

Thanks for the links, the omega drivers seem to be broken links, but the opengl fix went through :slight_smile:

BTW, I did get GTA3 Vice city to work … ran the movies great, turned the fog up and the detail down and it ran slighty choppy … until I stole a car, and drove over a bridge. It crashed hard and wouldnt run again. :stuck_out_tongue: But it ran once :smiley:

anyway, thanks for your help, this should help make quake and half-life look loads better.

Glad I could be of any help.