WinXP/nVidia tnt2

I have come a little annoying problem with my system. I use Win XP with an nVidia tnt2 32mb card. I have found that using nvidia specific drivers when you install UT2003 it comes up with an error and returns to the desktop. Now the real problem is that with my nvidia drivers…I can play other games like Mohaa and RTCW…but in order to play UT2003 I have to uninstall the drivers…no openGL…no mohaa or rtcw. What can I do to have ALL games working instead of 2 or 1 at a time. I can’t even get ut2003 to play with an older version of drivers off the nvidia site.

Originally posted by Sonic Storm:
I have come a little annoying problem with my system. I use Win XP with an nVidia tnt2 32mb card. I have found that using nvidia specific drivers when you install UT2003 it comes up with an error and returns to the desktop. Now the real problem is that with my nvidia drivers…I can play other games like Mohaa and RTCW…but in order to play UT2003 I have to uninstall the drivers…no openGL…no mohaa or rtcw. What can I do to have ALL games working instead of 2 or 1 at a time. I can’t even get ut2003 to play with an older version of drivers off the nvidia site.

Originally posted by technode:

Having the same problem with Soldier of Fortune 2, in fact any Activision game.

The loader does not recognize my new GeForce FX 5200 card as OpenGL complient even though I have the very latest Nvidia drivers loaded.

Note that GLSetup says it has no drivers for this card.

Anyone have a solution yet?

I got a solution but you wont like it as im ranting… …Lets kick Microsofts ass for this bullshiet we are having to go thru.

i think i got the same problem, it drives me nuts. can play ravenshield, can’t play mohaa…
Could you tell your settings in which Mohaa works for you?

Thanks in advance…

Bep

Recent to my posting…here’s something intriguing for you to think over!!! I dont think it is the nvidia drivers that are causing the problem…but the openGL drivers. Now i was using detonator 44.03 for my tnt 2 card, I could play some gl games such as mohaa or rtcw…but i couldnt play ut2003. I uninstalled them and reverted to older drivers…still didnt work. I eventually came across a solution when i went as far back as the 39.xx series drivers. That can only tell me that there is a problem with the openGL side of things. As I am aware…they are upto GL ver1.4. Now that seems to be the problem. Plus the fact is WHY update ur graphics drivers, it doesnt do much better for your card…stick to the older releases…at least you’ll know ur games WILL work. Perhaps when graphics card manufacturers AND GL work in unison together on new/beta release drivers will we have the courage to use them!!!

@SonicStorm:

The OpenGL drivers are an integral part of the display drivers.

@All others

Frankly, I really dont know what you guys are doing to your systems. If have setup countless systems for years and all ran OpenGL games just fine.

So the answer to the question “How to fix it”, would be “How did you broke it?” (hardware related problems are a different story though).

" 1234!
listen M8 i know the gl drivers are an integral part of the subsytem,but remember that GL hass new betas’/developments on their drivers as well as video card specific drivers. If you read my posting, i noted that my problem was solved if i reverted to an earlier set of drivers for my card. So somewhere along the line, you will see that the conflict is the combination of card drver/GL driver. This is of course GOING to happen at some time. I may find that the next set of detonator drivers released will work perfectly on my system. Once nvidia/GL have ironed out any bugs. As for the retort of “not how to fix it” but “how did i break it” I RESENT THAT REMARK. I am very experienced probably much MORE experienced than urself. So as you i am pointing out to you, i myself have been setting up MANY (too many to remember) systems for a long time now and have all ran successfully. This time round though, i have obviously come across some bad luck. Easy to fix though wasn’t it!!! So I am not the problem when it comes to my system not working!!! Be more cautious before making retorts at people you know nothing of or about!!!

Other that that peace to all who solve their probbies!!!

[b]" 1234!
listen M8 i know the gl drivers are an integral part of the subsytem,but remember that GL hass new betas’/developments on their drivers as well as video card specific drivers. If you read my posting, i noted that my problem was solved if i reverted to an earlier set of drivers for my card. So somewhere along the line, you will see that the conflict is the combination of card drver/GL driver. This is of course GOING to happen at some time. I may find that the next set of detonator drivers released will work perfectly on my system. Once nvidia/GL have ironed out any bugs. As for the retort of “not how to fix it” but “how did i break it” I RESENT THAT REMARK. I am very experienced probably much MORE experienced than urself. So as you i am pointing out to you, i myself have been setting up MANY (too many to remember) systems for a long time now and have all ran successfully. This time round though, i have obviously come across some bad luck. Easy to fix though wasn’t it!!! So I am not the problem when it comes to my system not working!!! Be more cautious before making retorts at people you know nothing of or about!!!

Other that that peace to all who solve their probbies!!![/b]

Sorry but it’s highly doubtful any new drivers will fix your problems. I’m sure you’re aware (as an experienced PC setter-upper), hardware companies stop doing a very good job maintaining older hardware after a time (like the TNT2 you’re using). Throw in a newer operating system (WinXP) and newer versions of OpenGL… and no wonder you’ve got problems.

And while that old TNT2 will do an OK job running RTCW, its probably barely powerful enough to run UT2003.

"listen M8 i know the gl drivers are an integral part of the subsytem,but remember that GL hass new betas’/developments on their drivers as well as video card specific drivers.

That clearly shows that you have no clue what you are talking about. “OpenGL” would be the ARB-Board that is represented by the major 3d companies (SGI,ATI,Nvidia,3DLabs,…) and they only specify how OpenGL functions should look like and what they have to do. “OpenGL” dosnt do the implementation, they dont have any “standard” drivers which are coupled together with i.e. Nvidia’s drivers. Its Nvidia’s task to implement the functions definied in OpenGL version 1.x. In addition the can add so called vendor specific extensions which make use of some special features unique to that 3d chip or chip familily.

Got that?

If you read my posting, i noted that my problem was solved if i reverted to an earlier set of drivers for my card.

I read an recomendation that owners of an TNT/TNT2 shouldnt use the >23.x drivers, because that was the point where they stopped doing bugfixes for thoose cards, but they made some changes along the line that made them perform worse.

So somewhere along the line, you will see that the conflict is the combination of card drver/GL driver. This is of course GOING to happen at some time.

See my previous comment, since Nvidia is doing the entire thing why should there be a conflict? There wont, belive me.

I may find that the next set of detonator drivers released will work perfectly on my system.

As far as I know (read the above comment), Nvidia wont change a thing in the TNT/TNT2 branch of the detonators anymore (and why should they? Its a product that reached the end of its lifecycle long ago).

Once nvidia/GL have ironed out any bugs.

I say it again, OpenGL is just an API (Application Programming Interface) and its Nvidia’s task to write what you call the “OpenGL” driver/subsystem.

As for the retort of “not how to fix it” but “how did i break it” I RESENT THAT REMARK. I am very experienced probably much MORE experienced than urself. So as you i am pointing out to you, i myself have been setting up MANY (too many to remember) systems for a long time now and have all ran successfully. This time round though, i have obviously come across some bad luck. Easy to fix though wasn’t it!!! So I am not the problem when it comes to my system not working!!!

First you are claiming: “I am very experienced probably much MORE experienced than urself” and then you are saying:

Be more cautious before making retorts at people you know nothing of or about!!!

So why dont you mind your own words?

As far as your experience is concerned, you did an excellent job hidding your knowledge in your previous posts.

Good day!