Open GL problem with nvidia 6200

Hi, i av recently purchased a Nvidia Geforce 6200, to replace my Ati radeon 9200se. My 9200se played open gl games, with all the latest drivers installed, this is not the case with my Geforce, since i installed the graphics card i have installed the game that came with the graphics card, it is the Chronicles of riddick since this is a open gl game and the card supports up to open gl 2.0 i thought it would work but it has not, all i get is am message saying open gl 1.3 driver or higher is required. I have already been to the nvidia website and downloaded the latest driver, it still does not work, can anybody help me ???, thanks

What driver version? If you actually grabbed version 81.98 from NVIDIA, then you should not be seeing that message (presumably from a game dialog).

You can verify your driver version in
Control Panel->Display->Settings->Advanced->Geforce xxx.

This tool will tell you all kinds of stuff about OpenGL on your card, including the version
http://www.delphi3d.net/hardware/glinfo2.zip

It’s a good idea to uninstall your old drivers before installing the new ones (in case you didn’t know).

When posting trouble like this it’s a good idea to give specific system information like your OS and exact driver version (since they change frequently).

Hope this helps.

Thanks for that, ive run the tool and it tells me that the driver ver. is unknown and that the open gl ver is 2.0.1, i am running win xp home, i have however donwloaded and installed 81.98 and the same prob still occurs have you got any ideas,

What’s the card manufacturer and the complete “Renderer” string from glinfo?

I am having the same problem with CAD programs with the same display card and the same driver, OpenGL does not work. If you figure it out please let me know what the issue is, and I’ll do the same.

The infomation is as follows,g.card: geforce 6200 256mb DDR AGP8X, 64-bit dual RAMDACs 400mhz, with DirectX 9.0 support and Open GL 2 optimizations and support / Renderer: Geforce 6200/AGP/SSE2

Lou, what is the manufacturer (e.g. BFG, eVGA, …)?

Certain vendors will release special drivers for their cards. Don’t know if that’s the case with yours, but it’s worth visiting their site to see.

For what it’s worth, my experience is that there’s nothing better than NVIDIA for OpenGL support. I’ve had Geforces since the original, and have never had problems of any kind with them (PNY and BFG kick ass :cool: ).

Heck, it could very well be a bug in that game. Have you patched it lately?

Good luck! :slight_smile:

Originally posted by lou556:
Hi, i av recently purchased a Nvidia Geforce 6200, to replace my Ati radeon 9200se. My 9200se played open gl games, with all the latest drivers installed, this is not the case with my Geforce, since i installed the graphics card i have installed the game that came with the graphics card, it is the Chronicles of riddick since this is a open gl game and the card supports up to open gl 2.0 i thought it would work but it has not, all i get is am message saying open gl 1.3 driver or higher is required. I have already been to the nvidia website and downloaded the latest driver, it still does not work, can anybody help me ???, thanks
I beleive the problem is that COR check the GL version like this

IF VERSION = 1.1 or VERSION = 1.2 or VERSION = 1.3
>>GL is OK
ELSE
>>NO GL SUPPORT
ENDIF

In other words, it’s buggy.
This is why they release patch for the game.
Let us know if you fixed the problem.

thanks for ur help <k>, it is a pny card by the way, Verto series. thanks again.

I solved my problem with OpenGL!

I went into the motherboard Bios and restored the optimal defaults, saved changes and exited, I don’t know what settings were wrong but it solved the problem all my OpenGL programs are now working!