Is DOOM 3 writen in OpenGL 1.4-OpenGL 2.0?

Please I have to know that. If you know that please tell me!

If I am correct, it runs on opengl 1.4. I know this because it works just fine on my card, which only supports 1.4, and you need at least 1.4 to do vertex/fragment programs.

No, it’s written in C++.

But yes, it uses the OpenGL API and will make use of VBOs and shaders if they’re available.

Just so you know: Doom3’s basic minimum requirement (in terms of NVIDIA hardware) was a GeForce3 [I think], the shaders of Doom3 are the assembly shaders. Same story for Quake4. Though to be honest, a GeForce3 won’t run Doom3/Quake4 particularly fast at resolutions beyond 640x480 (I think). For the record, a GeForce 3 is about 4 generations old… sickly enough, portable devices [i.e. iPhone 3, iPad, N900, most not-so-old Android devices) have significantly more capabilities (but often enough not as much raw firepower) as they support GLES2.0.

I think it is written against GL 1.1. I have seen screenshot of it running on a old Voodoo hardware (single texture, no shadow maps or lighting). All ID engines are OpenGL 1.1 + extensions.

I think it is written against GL 1.1. I have seen screenshot of it running on a old Voodoo hardware (single texture, no shadow maps or lighting). All ID engines are OpenGL 1.1 + extensions.

:eek: Wow. I never knew that, I always figured it absolutely needed shader support! Though Doom3 without lighting is like candy without sugar or any sweetener.

http://www.3dfxzone.it/enboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1462

It looks awful.

that link seems to indicate that one needs a patch for Doom3 to work… not too sure what files the patch affects… but the patch is only 3 MB or so…

At least on my TNT2, I had stencil shadows working :smiley: