How to make Virtual Texturing popular for consumers

Well, it is important for OpenGL that 3Dlabs Virtual Texturing becomes popular for consumers. How can it be?

Strategy1: support DirectX: to sell 3Dlabs consumer level boards, it must compete with Nvidia or ATI boards. DirectX is already used in consumer market, so to fight against Nvidia or ATI boards in consumer markets, the board should support DirectX.

Strategy2: 3Dlabs sells or licenses its technology to consumer level board companies such as ATI, Nvidia, 3DFX or Matrix. These companies already in consumar markets, and they need texture compression tech.

In my opinion, at least one of the above strategies is necessary for Virtual Texturing to be popular and for OpenGL API to keep its popularity. I personally prefer strategy2, by which Virtual Texturing can become popular easier & quicker than by single company 3Dlabs.

Luin

[This message has been edited by Luin (edited 03-09-2000).]

strategy 3, have john carmack start pushing it to chip makers… and it’ll show up. I suggest you check out his .plan file…
finger johnc@idsoftware.com
When he wants something from 3D hardware makers, he usually gets it. Look for virtual texturing to start showing up in future graphics cards who’s designs are begun after this point… ie, in 12-18 months… maybe sooner, if they are ahead of the game.