Help! I Got a geForce2 GTS yesterday and i cant get OPENGL TO WORK ONE BIT!

Its the Lead Tek geForce2 GTS 32mb Card. It’s also unstable and locks up alot in everything else! Im going to return it if i cant fix the problem. I Already emailed their tech support about it too. Does anyone in here know how to fix a problem like this?? My Comp Info is

k6-2 500, (k6-3+ soon)
Soyo 5EMA+
128mb ram DIMM
SB128pci
LEADTEK gf2 gts

Try getting the detonator 3 driver for your card. its an Nvidia thing, not a lead Tek thing so hopefully it’ll work. http://www.nvidia.com/Products.nsf/htmlmedia/detonator3.html Whats the deal, does Direct3d work and OpenGL does nothing or are you just haveing problems with everything?

I have somewhat the same problem. I cant think of a game that doesn’t freeze (lock up) in OpenGL mode. Its also looping the sound and turning off my monitor (sleepmode). Games that are affected are: Halflife, Soldier of Fortune, Baldurs Gate 2 etc. The games runs just fine in DirectX mode, but OpenGL is hopeless. It’s not a heatproblem and not an IRQ conflict problem cause everything runs smoothly exept OpenGL mode

My specs are:
K6-2 350 MHz
128 Mb PC100 RAM
ASUS P5A Motherboard BIOS rev 1007
Soundblaster PCI64V
ATI Radeon 64Mb DDR (driver 4.12.3056)
ALI AGP driver ver 1.69
ALI IDE driver 3.56
DirectX 8.0

Has anyone experienced similar problems?
please feel free to email

anders-maja@mail.tele.dk

I, too, experience the same problems.

I’m going to try that Detonator 3 suggestion that person in an above reply suggested. I just blew $862 canadian on a GEFORCE 2 ultra, and none of my openGL games work.

Go FIGURE!

I am having that same exact problem with a Creative Labs GTS. I was on their tech support line for over an hour and couldnt get it fixed. I want to try to delete all of my existing openGL driver files and reinstall using glsetup, but I dont know the names of all the files. as far as I can tell, halflife runs fine in D3d and it is only opengl apps that give me trouble.

What do you mean the games run just fine in DirectX mode? How do you run a game in DirectX mode as opposed to OpenGL mode? Doesn’t the game, like Soldier of Fortune, use OpenGL? Any help understanding this would be appreciated.

Originally posted by Serup:
[b]I have somewhat the same problem. I cant think of a game that doesn’t freeze (lock up) in OpenGL mode. Its also looping the sound and turning off my monitor (sleepmode). Games that are affected are: Halflife, Soldier of Fortune, Baldurs Gate 2 etc. The games runs just fine in DirectX mode, but OpenGL is hopeless. It’s not a heatproblem and not an IRQ conflict problem cause everything runs smoothly exept OpenGL mode

My specs are:
K6-2 350 MHz
128 Mb PC100 RAM
ASUS P5A Motherboard BIOS rev 1007
Soundblaster PCI64V
ATI Radeon 64Mb DDR (driver 4.12.3056)
ALI AGP driver ver 1.69
ALI IDE driver 3.56
DirectX 8.0

Has anyone experienced similar problems?
please feel free to email

anders-maja@mail.tele.dk[/b]

This is all very interesting. I just bought the Hercules 3d prophetII mx ( AGP) board and the games are behaving the same way. Halflife works fine under D3D but will NOT run under OpenGl. The same goes for any game, if it supports D3d it will work but if it’s OpenGl only my pc crashes. The specs for my sys are:

FIC va-503+ (last BIOS, last VIA chipset upgrade)
400 mhz k6-2
128 edo ram
Hercules 3d prophet II mx AGP
( all the latest drivers, even downloaded the stuff from OpenglSetup gang, their app told me I had the latest drivers already!)
AWE64
6800 mb hd
CDR
Cd
modem
zipdrive

Now one thing I’m going to try is changing my powersupply ( it’s an old 200 wtt one,
AGP cards use more juice so maybe Opengl is calling for more ower use in the part of the card!) to a 300 wtt.

I’ll let you know if this works.

“what we do in life…echoes in eternity!”

abel

Originally posted by boopclaw:
[b]What do you mean the games run just fine in DirectX mode? How do you run a game in DirectX mode as opposed to OpenGL mode? Doesn’t the game, like Soldier of Fortune, use OpenGL? Any help understanding this would be appreciated.

[/b]

:confused

I too have a GeForce2 GTS, and if you go to www.nvidia.com and look for drivers before installing it, you can easily correct the problem without ever dealing with it

Also note that Windows never will be the same after changing gfx cards within the same install. Best option after getting a new card is to reinstall it. It’s a pain, I know, but it’s worth the fresh performance.

The K6-x series is a real sad chip… if you want any performance outta ur new cards, get an Athlon or a P3! The P4 has some real lame specs in raw power, and will only do well for apps compiled for SSE2. There’s a game I almost love called Descent (1 2 and 3) and it runs best under OpenGL. Never had a problem, except for an occasional complete crash, but that was due to some rather inappropriate settings in my CMOS :stuck_out_tongue:

d*** it gotta go to bed cya all later

Okay,

I went to geforcefaq.com and found a solution for my opengl problem. I have VIA chipset on my mobo , if you update the chipset soft ( viatech.com ) and select NORMAL agp and NOT TURBO mode, it forces the agp bus to go to 1X. I know you;re dumbing down your PC, but this allowed me to run Halflife in opengl! Elite Force works also.
You may have to check your bios and disable any 2x agp settings to 1x also. I am installing other opengl games to continue testing.

Try it.

Hi!

First of all make sure OPENGL will work with your configs. Ask friends,forums ,retaillers with the same OS,mobo,graphiccard,drivers, processor if it should work.

Here is a lots of solutions try once in a time to see if it will work for you.

Click Start / Run.
Type “win.ini” (without quotes) and press OK.
Search for a line that says “DVA=0” (without quotes).
Add a semicolon ( before the DVA (The line should now look like this: “;DVA=0” (without quotes))
Save and close the file
If you find this causes more problems, just take out the semicolon.
Note that not everyone has this line, and if there is none you’ll have to try another solution.

Try switching to AGP1X using your BIOS setup or AGP Wizard (more information here). This may help, but will reduce performance slightly.

Check your AGP aperture size in your BIOS Setup. Start at half of what your total system memory is and save it.

If you have a Via chipset on your mobo try to update your Via drivers (dont ever install the turbomode).

If you install the new openGL drivers remember to force the install when you been prompted(to get rid of your old drivers)

If you want a total uninstall of creatives card do as follow.(working on other card also if you now the file endings.

• Run any uninstall from Add/Remove Programs for the drivers. These frequently are
    not totally thorough but should be done anyway.

After you reboot, delete these files
In C:\Windows\System: nv*., bc., bls., 3dbg.*
(the latter 3 only apply to Creative drivers)

In C:\Wwindows\Inf: drvdata.bin, drvidx.bin, 3dbg*.inf, nv*.inf

In C:\Inf\Other: 3dbg*.inf, nv*.inf

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Creative Tech\Blaster Control 3.0

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Controls
Folder\Device\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers\Blaster Control 3.0

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Controls
Folder\Device\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers\NVTweak
(look under Controls Folder\Display as well as Device keys here for
Blaster Control or NVTweak keys)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

• look for bcdetect or NVInitialize entries on the right side and
    delete them but not the whole Run key. Also, check the RunOnce
    key for the same entries.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\OpenGLdrivers

• delete the RIVATNT entry on the right side

After you have done this do a reinstall of windows(not format).

Then install the original drivers to your garaphiccard(not detonators)

That’s it
Please give me a wink if it worked for you.

I’m having the exact problem with my Radeon, which is the same as yours.

MDK2 and Giants just will not do better than about 1 fps.

Fu[K AMD K6-2…I have EXACTLY the same problem as yours. I also have an AMDK6-2 500 with a VIA chipset board and a TNT2 PRO card. Half-life hangs, SOF’s graphics is messed up…neither of the game that uses OpenGL works with our Specs. They better do something about it…its like a bug. It happened all in the same DAY/TIME/MONTH. Tweaking registry doesn’t work either also fixing BIOS setup. I just bought this TNT2 and I haven’t felt the rush…F.U.C.k