KOTOR w/ OpenGL

After installing the game I ran the config system check and it told me I did not have Opengl installed to run the game. I have a AIW Radeon 9800 and other games run fine. The system info said it’s reading my secondary driver of my radeon but it’s not reading my primary driver, is there anyway I can program it so it does? I know the primary driver has opengl affliated to it but my secondary driver does not seem to have opengl attached to it. I can’t even run the game wihtout getting a spinning CD icon of death and then a window pop up that terminates the game loading. Tried different configs and reinstalling everything… Nothing works, how can I find my opengl and get it to focus on my primary Radeon 9800 AIW driver please??? thank you…

(Win. XP, P4 3ghz, 128meg ATI 9800 PRO

I am having similar difficulties. I have a Radeon 8500DV All-In-Wonder card with the latest drivers installed. When I got to run KOTOR, it tells me that I need opengl 1.3.0 or better and only have 1.1.0 installed. Any suggestions?

Originally posted by EERookie:
I am having similar difficulties. I have a Radeon 8500DV All-In-Wonder card with the latest drivers installed. When I got to run KOTOR, it tells me that I need opengl 1.3.0 or better and only have 1.1.0 installed. Any suggestions?

Dude, try this. I tried EVERYTHING short of burning incense to get Kotor to play. What worked finally was following another post’s suggestion to MAX out the 3D options in the ATI control panel (not to be confused with the multimedia bar, though this contains the control panel as does the display icon withing the main control panel). Click on settings and then advanced and then 3D and set all of the settings for Direct3D and OpenGL. I don’t know why this works but it sure did for me after weeks of aggravation. Start the game out in the lowest resolution and refresh rate, texture and all the extras dumbed down as much as possible. Then get it to start and them ramp them up performance wise. E-mail me Uberjunge@aol.com if you have questions about these instructions or whatever. Put KOTOR in the subject line.
Good luck, its a great game when it works, though no game is better than Planescape: Torment by Bioware as well, or at least wizards of the coast.
Good luck again,
Joshua

I am having similiar problems: My Spec

Compac Notebook EVO N800v (laptop)
Windows XP
256MB
Raedon 7500 - 64MB
Open GL 1.3 (How do I uogarde to 1.4)

at first game did not work at all. So I instaled XP service pack 1, updated my driver from ATi for Raedon Card, and I got the game to run…

However I am stuck as the game will not progress beyond tataoine when you arrive with your possie. Basically it consistently crashes in the load scene prior to this…

Mmhhh what is a lonely paperboy to do?

Usually, you can upgrade your openGL by downloading newer drivers, so if you dont have opengl 1.4, you probably need to upgrade your driver. To do that, try going to their website (ex: nvidia.com, if you have a nvidia card).
The real problem happens when you do have the openGL, but it keeps saying you dont have it.
It happened to me, and it took my a while to figure out the reason. In my case, I had MatLab installed in my PC, and for some weird reason, if yo have Matlab, your computer stops to recognize the open GL.
Anyway, first thing I would try is to upgrade my video driver to get opengl 1.4.
Hope it helps.

I have updated to the latest Catalyst drivers for my ATI Radeon 8500DV All-In-Wonder, but KOTOR still tells me that I am running the Microsoft implementation of OpenGl 1.1.0. Any suggestions?

Are you running v1.1 of KOTOR?

Yep. And when I run the configure menu and choose scan hardware, it tells me that I failed the OpenGL requirement. It says:

Microsoft Corporation - 1.1.0
Required: Non-windows Generic OpenGl 1.3.0 Drivers

Again, I have a Radeon 8500DV All-In-Wonder card with the latest Catalyst drivers from ATI’s website. Any suggestions?

I have similar system - XP with more RAM but RAdeon 7500 with catalyst 4.1 drivers. On hardware check of KOTOR it says I fail due to non OPenGL 1.4 compliancy.

Similar problem of game crashing when movie for landing on Dantooine finished and game would not restart, happened consistently 6 or so times in a row.

I loaded last saved game up removed all shadows, grass from the graphics option and lowered all the settings and it worked fine.

Once the game started up again after the crash scene, I simply charged up the settings and there has been no problems. Give that a go to get over the glitch.

Originally posted by rhrovat:
[b]I am having similiar problems: My Spec

Compac Notebook EVO N800v (laptop)
Windows XP
256MB
Raedon 7500 - 64MB
Open GL 1.3 (How do I uogarde to 1.4)

at first game did not work at all. So I instaled XP service pack 1, updated my driver from ATi for Raedon Card, and I got the game to run…

However I am stuck as the game will not progress beyond tataoine when you arrive with your possie. Basically it consistently crashes in the load scene prior to this…

Mmhhh what is a lonely paperboy to do?[/b]