GeForce 2Mx 😕

I am thinking about buying a GeForce 2 Mx, and i was wondering whether someon could tell me about the good and the bad about the card and what your opinons are about this card.I will use it for gaming and since I found it at a cheap price I am considering buying one.I will appreciate anyones help.THX!

The MX one is a really good card. It’s cheap and got enought power to satisfy the above average user. I have one myself, and I haven’t had any problems so far. I would really recomend it if you don’t want to spend a whole lot of money, but still want a good card.

MX is a good card.
By using the latest driver from nvidia i can run counter strike in OPENGL mode with 100fps.
no problem at all

>By using the latest driver from nvidia i can run counter strike in OPENGL mode with 100fps.

what kind of processor do you have genius this has a massive effect of FPS.

the MX is not doing all of that.

my duron 900 runs c-strike @800x600 32bit @100 fps with my geforce 2MX no problem open gl if fully supported by the geforce 2 mx and it dosent require much processor to render because its all done by your hardware.

>my duron 900 runs c-strike @800x600 32bit @100 fps with my geforce 2MX no problem open gl if fully supported by the geforce 2 mx and it dosent require much processor to render because its all done by your hardware.

Though the MX probably does about 65-85% of it,its not all done in hardware most but not everything and the processer does help a lot.Graphics arn’t the only thing being processed.

You could probably run it in software and get 70 fps. but it would be dog ugly.

Actually don’t overestimate the cpu, I tried running CS on my 1.2 tbird in software, of course at 1024 x 768 x 32 and I got 25 fps.

thats crazy!!!

how the heck is that even possible!!!
who makes the chip?
and what did you do to it!!!

Originally posted by bla:
[b]thats crazy!!!

how the heck is that even possible!!!
who makes the chip?
and what did you do to it!!! [/b]

AMD is the manufacturer and… what are u saying? what’s possible? what did I do to what?

25 fps is bad thats all
does it maintain a low temp while its playing the game if it doesnt and over heats it will sometimes run at half speed or less.new processors prevent overheating by slowing down…

its a friggen 1.2 for craps sake!!!
i was gettin that fps on a friggen 750 in UT softeware with max detail in 800x600x16
the game is extensivly harder to run!!!

what video card do you have? and are the AMD optimizations on?

ok i admit im an idiot

disreguard the last two questions at the bottom!

My video card is GeForce 2 MX, so I don’t really play in software, however I was curious on how well it can perform without hardware acceleration. Also don’t forget that 1024 x 768 in 32 bit color is extremely heavy on anything, if u tried UT in 32 bit color I am sure u would get at least a 25 % drop in fps, also, Counter strike has very detailed models (read polygon count per model is simply higher then UT). So, as I said earlier don’t overestimate the CPU :stuck_out_tongue:

P.S UT has LOD, so if the fps is getting too low (u can set the minimum fps in the options), it automatically decreases level of detail (LOD) in order to meet the specified fps. Heck I ran UT on a p200 and a voodoo 2 at 640x480 at 30 fps, does it conclude anything? No

[This message has been edited by HighCv2 (edited 06-15-2001).]

Just want to add something, that I think nobody mentioned here.

Don’t, I repeat, don’t buy a GeForce2 MX 200. Make sure that the card you buy isn’t based on this chip. There are three varieties of the MX: the original (just MX), and the newer MX 400 and MX 200. The original MX and the MX 400 perform about the same. The MX 200 is a much worse performer.

>if u tried UT in 32 bit color I am sure u would get at least a 25 % drop in fps

BWWWAHAAHHAHAHAHAAAHHAAHHAAH!!
you’d be so very lucky if it were that small.

although this would seem to suport your argument a closer look and greater understanding would prove its just a unrelated piece of info i remembered while typing this reply.

Did you know the newest and fastest super computers don’t have CPU’s?

Yes ET3d, you’re correct, GF2mx200 is the worst one cuz it uses 64 bit ddr ram, which is barely enough to keep up with 128 bit sdram which I have on my Gf2mx original.

As for the other post, I did prove that 32 bit color is stressful! w00t!

AFAIK, the MX 200 uses 64bit SDRAM. It’s even worse than you thing

another thing to consider is the power requirements of your computer. My experience is as follows:
I have a Duron 650 with a SB Live, and recently added a geforce2mx. my power supply was 250watts, and it couldn’t take it. my computer would reboot, and I couldn’t work out what the matter was. I took it to the computer shop, and they told me that durons, sb lives, and geforce cards take up a lot of power, and a 250watt power supply was inadequate. I went home with a 350 watt power supply, and everything’s been fine since. (also, the frame rates in my games are fast!)
It’s a good card, and cost effective, but you may have to buy a new power supply too.

Originally posted by ET3D:
AFAIK, the MX 200 uses 64bit SDRAM. It’s even worse than you thing

Ouch!!