Testing openGL

Is there any good way to test openGL, I have a feeling that mine is a more than a little bad and would like a way to see if my suspicions are true

No idea what you mean by saying “a little bad” but you could try:

http://delphi3d.net/hardware/glinfo2.zip

first.

By a little bad I mean that opengl based games such as quake3 will completly freeze my whole computer after a completly random amount of time, anywhere between 5 seconds and 30 minutes. Additionally text inside games such as Counterstrike Source, Dawn of war, pretty much every game will have squares or rectangles over parts of the numbers/letters for example I’ve seen that 5 has the curved part blocked with a rectangle.
I’m not sure if its open GL thats the problem, or what
BTW, thanks alot for the help, however that just tells me alot of data, I have absolutally no idea what it means

Your graphic card (and maybe its drivers too) seem to be corrupt.

What is it ?

nvidia 6600gt using brand freaking new 78.01 drivers straight off of the Nvidia site. but this has happened with the 77.77 drivers, the 77.72 drivers. 2 weeks ago I did a full reformatand installed the fresh 77.72 drivers. (the problem existed before and then after the format)
something I forgot to mention in the previous post was that I get similar white rectanges on particle effects and on non-text parts of UI’s of several games. (especially dawn of war)

What kind of motherboard and powersupply do you own? I am asking because those random lockups can be caused by:

a.) Not enough power for peek-load situations.
b.) AGP compatibility issues.

Both of course are hardware related.

I have a 350watt powersupply with a k7n2 delta MSI motherboard. the whole underwatt part makes sense as I (rarely) get random restartswhile fairly near to peak usage.
Just for good measure I have a 3200+xp athlon

ok, close the thead, found the problem, according to online calculators I use 316 watts of power at peak usage while I only have 350 watt supply

But bear in mind that not only the total output is important. The powersupply splits the output into 3.3V, 5V and 12V rails and each rail can only support a specific amount of current.

So a 350W supply from manufacturer A may be good enough but the 350W supply from manufacturer B fails 5 Amps on the 12V rail short.

As far as powersupplies are concerned: quality does matter.

good point, thanks