Part of the Khronos Group
OpenGL.org

The Industry's Foundation for High Performance Graphics

from games to virtual reality, mobile phones to supercomputers

Thread: OpenGL depth problem/question

Junior Member Newbie

Question OpenGL depth problem/question

Hello,

I keep running into a problem with depth in the viewport (i assume) when trying to draw just simple lines. I want to draw a set of lines parallel to each other and I am using a loop to do that. The problem that arises though, is when I use glRotatef() function to rotate my "camera", which is technically just rotating everything drawn, the lines that I drew are only appearing to be extended to a certain value, I assume it's 1 but I have no idea if that's what's happening... So basically, what is happening, I think, is the lines just stop being drawn at that point, and when I rotate the view, I get an unpleasant effect of the lines just cut-off there, when I would like to see them go further down, hence creating an effect of further depth.. unfortunately this is not happening. As you can see from the piece of code, all I am doing is drawing a bunch of horizontal lines parallel to each other..

I would greatly appreciate if somebody could explain why this is happening and even more if there is a solution to this and how I should fix it

I assume this has to do something with the viewport and the min and max depth ranges but I am really not sure

I also hope I explained this enough and clearly enough I realize the explanation might be confusing
    Code :
    glBegin(GL_LINES);

glColor3f(0.5, 0.5, 0.5);
        for(float i = -100; i < 100; i+=0.005){
            glVertex3f(i, 0, 1);
            glVertex3f(i, 0, -1);
        }

glEnd();

Thank you very much in advance

Junior Member Regular Contributor
    Seems like you have just discovered that the cameras in computer graphics have a far clipping plane against which all the geometry is clipped (not drawn). Check your projection matrix. Here are the functions used to construct such matrices:
    http://www.opengl.org/sdk/docs/man2/...erspective.xml
    http://www.opengl.org/sdk/docs/man2/xhtml/glOrtho.xml
    The legacy OpenGL maintains two matrices, modelview and projection, so ensure you switch between them depending which one you want to modify (see glMatrixMode).

Junior Member Newbie
    Thanks for your reply. I read over even more tutorials and documentation on the two matrices and the two modes. I tried to modify my code to construct such matrices but all I keep getting is a black screen every time... I think I may be missing something important here. As I mentioned before, my graphics are "destroyed" / "hidden" when I rotate using glRotatef() and I would like them to display appropriately. I would appreciate if you could post a code snippet of the order of method calls that I need to do to properly set up my matrices so that my geometry is clipped the right way.

Thanks a lot

Junior Member Regular Contributor
    You first.
    Do not take away from us a nice opportunity to laugh at the nooby code!
    Whoops, I mean, show the codes, we will help you to correct it to make it work.