Part of the Khronos Group
OpenGL.org

The Industry's Foundation for High Performance Graphics

from games to virtual reality, mobile phones to supercomputers

Thread: Terrain elevation using opengl

Newbie Newbie

Question Terrain elevation using opengl

hi,

i have started working with OpenGL recently, and sorry if i have posted in wrong place.

actually i want to achieve terrain deformation at simulation run-time, right now i am using Delta3d with QT and thought to add Terrain deformation feature. Let me explain exactly what i want to do
    for ex: i have button lets say "Deform" , when i click that and click anywhere on terrain in scene that should select a vertex and pull it for certain height and surrounding vertex related to selected one should also be pulled out relatively to keep a smooth obstacle effect like a mountain.
    i searched bit in Google but sadly i didn't get any answers, please suggest what can be done to achieve Terrain deformation.any examples or any links will be great to start with .

Resultant terrain should look like below after deformation.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TerrainTexSandDunes.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	9.5 KB 
ID:	1362

Thanks in advance,
    Jithendra.

Senior Member OpenGL Pro BionicBytes's Avatar
    What you want to do is quite "high level" and depends entirely upon the rendering technique you use for the terrain.
    Perhaps if you posted a sample of the actual rendering code for the terrain (no need for all the rest of the other fluff) then people could suggest a method suitable for your needs.