Part of the Khronos Group
OpenGL.org

The Industry's Foundation for High Performance Graphics

from games to virtual reality, mobile phones to supercomputers

Thread: why there is no double version of glUniform?

Junior Member Newbie

why there is no double version of glUniform?

I checked the webpage http://www.opengl.org/wiki/GLAPI/glUniform but noticed that glUniform API seems not have double version, i.e., something like glUniform3d for dvec3 uniform variables. Does this API really not support double? If not, why?

Advanced Member Frequent Contributor
    It's available through an extension, see GL_ARB_gpu_shader_fp64. Hardware is only (somewhat) recently acquiring full support for double precision computations. Making double a first class citizen type in the spec would render all implementations that don't support it non-conforming - my guess is that was considered too strict a requirement.

Junior Member Newbie
    Thanks a lot, carsten neumann. I'm so glad to see my GT640 card support GL_ARB_gpu_shader_fp64. Cool!

Member Regular Contributor malexander's Avatar
    Double-precision computation on many GPUs, especially consumer versions, is often much slower than single-precision, by anywhere from 2x - 24x slower. I believe the GT640 FP64 performance is 1/24th that of the FP32 performance. So you might want to use double precision sparingly, only if absolutely necessary.