OpenGL.org

The Industry's Foundation for High Performance Graphics

from games to virtual reality, mobile phones to supercomputers

Thread: Distance to lines results in inlets at line crossings

Hybrid View

Newbie Newbie

Distance to lines results in inlets at line crossings

Hi,

I have a problem with the result that I get when calculating distances to lines in a shader program, specifically distances to multiple lines.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cross_artifact.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	12.3 KB 
ID:	1325

As you can see from the screenshots there is no problem with single lines, but when combined in the calculation inlets are visible at the line crossing that I do not understand and would like to get rid of. If this is some sort of optical illusion, then I still would like to know how to avoid this.
    (background: I want to create a soft shadow effect from a polygon silhouette that gets passed to the fragment shader)

Part of the fragment shader code that is used to calculate the combined distance:

Code :
    void main(void) {
        outputColor = vec4(1f, 1f, 0f, 1f);
        bool bands = false;

float len = 0.2;        
        float distHorizontalLine = getDistanceToLine(vec3(0f, 0f, 0f), vec3(len, 0f, 0f), currentPoint);    
        float distVerticalLine =   getDistanceToLine(vec3(0f, 0f, 0f), vec3(0f, len, 0f), currentPoint);   

float dist = distHorizontalLine;                   // [A] distance to horizontal line
        dist = distVerticalLine;                           // [B] distance to vertical line
        // dist = min(distVerticalLine, distHorizontalLine);  // [C] distance to cross

float radius = 0.25f;
        if (dist<radius) {
            float ratio = dist/radius;        
            vec4 distColor = vec4(0f, 0f, 1f, 1f);        
            outputColor = mix(distColor, outputColor, ratio);

if (bands) {
                // debug: display bands
                float band = (ceil(fract(ratio)*10f))/10f;
                outputColor = vec4(band, band, 1-band, 1f);
            }        
        }    
    }

The complete project (java (lwjgl) + shaders sources):
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by nospoon2014; 06-01-2014 at 07:07 AM.

Member Regular Contributor
    Replace min() with something else, e.g.
    Code :
        dist = min(min(distVerticalLine, distHorizontalLine), distVerticalLine*distHorizontalLine/radius);

Newbie Newbie
    GClements thanx for the hint, I got the asked result, however I have tried to come up with a proper result (without unwanted markings), but so far I have had not much luck. I think this problem actually consist of 2 problems:
    1] the calculated distances are not exactly the same for both lines, so the shader outputs a slightly different color which is visible as a discontinuous region at the 'shadow' intersection
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zoomed.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	10.6 KB 
ID:	1342

2] the optical illusion thing. Even when solving [1] the inlets are disturbingly visible. It just doesn't make sense though, they should not appear in the first place.