Part of the Khronos Group
OpenGL.org

The Industry's Foundation for High Performance Graphics

from games to virtual reality, mobile phones to supercomputers

Thread: HELP! Collision Detection: NOT WORKING?

Junior Member Newbie

HELP! Collision Detection: NOT WORKING?

Hi,

I'm attempting to create a collision detection algorthm however it fails even though it seems logical to me:

Code :
    void Collision_Detector()
    {
    	for (int i = 0; i < particles.size(); i++) // Get the individual particle in the vector (P1)
    	{
    		for (int c = 0; c < particles.size(); c++) // Use the all other particles in vector and check if they collide with the particle (P1)
    		{
    			if (c != i) // EXCEPT from itself
    			{
    				if (particles[c].x == particles[i].x) // Check if particle (P1) and the other particles are in the same X axis direction 
    				{
    					float distance = particles[i].y - particles[c].y; // IF SO calculate vertical distance from each other.
    					if (distance < 0.50) // If the distance is greater than 0.50 show messagebox
    					{
    						MessageBoxW(0,"Collision Detected","Great!",MB_OK);
    					}
    				}
    			}
    		}
    	}
    }

The above algorithm makes perfect sense yet it fails to work and it shows message box everytime I create particle in the same X axis location even when the both Y axis are like 200.00 distance away. Why is this can someone help?

Intern Newbie
    Capt.Yoda
    Try:
    float distance = abs (particles[i].y - particles[c].y);

Claude

Junior Member Newbie
    Hi,

It works but when I try find the hyptoenuse distance it fails is there anything wrong heere:

Code :
    void Collision_Detector()
    {
    	for (int i = 0; i < particles.size(); i++) // Get the individual particle in the vector (P1)
    	{
    		for (int c = 0; c < particles.size(); c++) // Use the all other particles in vector and check if they collide with the particle (P1)
    		{
    			if (c != i) // EXCEPT from itself
    			{
    				if (particles[c].x == particles[i].x) // Check if particle (P1) and the other particles are in the same X axis direction 
    				{
    					float distance_y = abs(particles[i].y - particles[c].y); // Find distance in Y Axis
    					float distance_x = abs(particles[i].x - particles[c].x);  // Find distance in X Axis  

float hyptenuse_y = distance_y * distance_y + distance_x * distance_x; // FIND HYPOTENUSE 
    					float finalDistance = sqrt(hyptenuse_y);
    					if (finalDistance < 1.0)  // IF HYPOTENUSE IS GREATER THAN 1 THEY COLLIDED
    					{
    						MessageBox(0, 0, 0, 0);
    					}
    				}
    			}
    		}
    	}
    }

What am I doing wrong, is there a better way to find the distance between them?

Intern Newbie
    Capt.Yoda
    Try this:
    Remove this test:
    if (particles[c].x == particles[i].x)
    With it you need the x coordinates to be equal to have a collision.
    You should use the formula: c = squareroot[ (xa-xb) + (ya-yb) ]
    http://www.mathsisfun.com/algebra/di...-2-points.html
    Same thing.Faster.No abs.

Hope it helps.
    Claude

Junior Member Newbie
    Hi,

That solved the problem, now anyway I still has to use abs but its not really an concern. Thanks though.