Part of the Khronos Group
OpenGL.org

The Industry's Foundation for High Performance Graphics

from games to virtual reality, mobile phones to supercomputers

Thread: globe-texture without a seam?

Intern Contributor

globe-texture without a seam?

Hi all,

I'm beginning to wear thin on how to avoid a seam when making 'the blue planet', pasting a texture on a spheric set of vectors.
    What's the magic ingredient?
    I'm running through 180 sets of 360 ring-vector sets.
    The 360 vectors in a set meets, which would yield 361 vectors with 360 spaces in between. The same with the Latitudinal angles. So, I get a collective set of 181*361 vectors composing 180*360 'angular square-areas' .. right? Each square ready to get texture coordinates.
    I've tried an awfull lot of combinations, but not hitting one without a notizable seam from south to north.
    If you have tried, then please comment on possible traps.

Intern Contributor
    What values are you using for your TEXTURE_WRAP settings? If I understand what you're doing correctly, try setting the TEXTURE_WRAP for the direction that extends around the equator to GL_REPEAT. That should avoid the seam, as long as the texture data is calculated correctly so that the left and right (or top and bottom) edges match up.

Intern Contributor
    Hi reto.koradi,
    I'll have a look at it.
    I'm using a texture_rectangle and I believe that it has a limited set of texture-parameters to choose from .. but, We'll see. The problem is in the neighbourhood! It's one line of .. (lines when you draw in line-strips) .. that is effected, and reasonably associated with the 'last' vertex. The (very short) line takes color-values that could represent a condensed line across the whole image. I've tried to avoid making the last vertex=first vertex (hench 361 verts instead of 360).
    I was beginning to doubt my abillity to ... count

Cheers ;o)