Two-point vanishing perspective opengl

Hello!
I’m trying to create a 2 point vanishing view on a house I’ve created but I can’t get it right. I managed to get the isometric view by using

[NOTE]gluLookAt(dist, dist, dist,0.0, 0.0, 0.0,0.0, 1.0, 0.0);[/NOTE]
where dist is sqrt(1/3.0). When I try to set up the 2 point vanishing projection I’m doing something very wrong. Now my object is from -3 to 3 on x-axis ,-3 to 3 on y-axis and -6 to 6 on z-axis. This code

[NOTE]c = 0;
gluLookAt(3.0, 0, 6.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0); [/NOTE]
works by setting the translatef range to 0, then goes to the right front corner ,on flat level(y=0) and looks at it sideways. now this gives me the dimetric just fine. but when I try to add perspective , the object gets so warped I cant even understand what went wrong. Here:

[NOTE]c = 0;
gluPerspective(90, 1, 0.1, 20);
gluLookAt(5.0, 0, 10.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0);[/NOTE]
I’ve trying changing fov,znear,zfar , the order of the commands, but I just can’t get it to work.

Which matrices are you applying them on? gluPerspective should be used on the GL_PROJECTION matrix and gluLookAt should be used on the GL_MODELVIEW matrix.

Ah, this might be it. I m modifying the view from a right click menu , which changes a value called view ( = 0,1 or 2) and i call if checks in the display function that creates the object.
[NOTE]void display() {
glClear(GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT | GL_DEPTH_BUFFER_BIT);
glMatrixMode(GL_MODELVIEW);

glLoadIdentity();     
 glOrtho(-100, 100, -100, 100, 0, -5000); 
if (isometric == 1){gluLookAt(dist, dist, dist,	0.0, 0.0, 0.0,0.0, 1.0, 0.0);}
if (isometric == 2){ c = 0;   gluPerspective(90, 1, 0.1, 20);  gluLookAt(3.0, 0, 6.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0);  }
glTranslatef(0.0f, 0.0f, c); 
glRotatef(angle, rx, ry, rz);

glBegin(GL_QUADS);
…[/NOTE]
and the other is

[NOTE]void optionmenu(int id)
{
if (id == 1) { isometric = 0; angle = 0; rx = 0; ry = 0; rz = 0; glutPostRedisplay();; }
if (id == 2) { isometric = 0; angle = 90; rx = 1; ry = 0; rz = 0; glutPostRedisplay();; }
if (id == 3) { isometric = 0; angle = -90; rx = 0; ry = 1; rz = 0; glutPostRedisplay();; }
if (id == 4) { isometric = 1; angle = 0; rx = 0; ry = 0; rz = 0; glutPostRedisplay(); }
if (id == 5) { isometric = 2; angle = 0; rx = 0; ry = 0; rz = 0; glutPostRedisplay(); }[/NOTE]
so indeed i have my gluPerspective in my GL_MODELVIEW.
how would i change the perspective with the menu right click?
Should i do an if at the begining or end of display by calling glMatrixMode(GL_PROJECTION); set the perspective and then call GL_MODELVIEW again?

If I understand your setup correctly, you should probably split up your if blocks kinda like this:

if(isometric == 1)
{
    glMatrixMode(GL_PROJECTION);
    glLoadIdentity();
    glOrtho(...);
    glMatrixMode(GL_MODELVEW);
    glLoadIdentity();
    gluLookAt(...);
}
if(isometric == 2)
{
    glMatrixMode(GL_PROJECTION);
    glLoadIdentity();
    gluPerspective(...);
    glMatrixMode(GL_MODELVIEW);
    glLoadIdentity();
    gluLookAt(...);
}

And then set up everything else from there. You may want to look at OpenGL 3.3 instead of the fixed function pipeline, it is a lot more customization.

thanks , The picture appears to be getting some perspective but only the front face is appearing now ( just the square of the house and the roof in perspective, the rest of the house is invisible o.O).
Which on second try it worked because i had to first use gluLookAt and then translate and i swapped them and it worked.

Thanks a lot :slight_smile:

No problem :slight_smile: enjoy!